New 2012 LR4 owner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

veronicak7

Reaction score
Hello, all! I am picking up my new baby tomorrow, a 2012 LR4 HSE Lux. I have learned a lot from reading through threads on this site. The vehicle mechanically looks great. There is some pretty significant damage to the leather on the dashboard and the driver's side door (right below the window) that I am planning to repair myself. If anyone has any tips on leather repair (or words of warning about attempting a DIY), I would appreciate the advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305_102903_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_102903_Facebook.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230305_102919_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_102919_Facebook.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 57

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi veronicak7, looks just like the 2011 I picked up a few days back. That interior door damage is weird looking. My interior is all grey rather than tan. I've got a little cracking through the fake wood plastic inset on that same door, but I don't really notice it unless I am looking right at it closely.

To me, it looks like you would need to replace that entire section of the door panel. I don't know where you could source such an item. The auto scrapyards have become rather sophisticated in the digital age. If you have one locally they probably have access to a network of other scrapyards and if any of them have such an item they could probably source it for you pretty quickly. There may also be resources here that could help put a locate on such an item. Normally, pulling door panels is a rather routine operation, but it is a Land Rover so who knows? Not me.

Congrats and best of luck.

veronicak7

Reaction score
Congratulations to you as well!
I agree, the damage is weird. We're in Hawaii, so I'm guessing it's a combination of wear from the driver's arm and sun damage. I think I'll end up having to replace the door panel, but I figure I'll try a leather repair kit first and if it looks terrible I'll get a new panel.

Thanks for the reply!

LR4 2011

Reaction score
I have a couple of quotes, one to fill in the area with vinyl liquid $200 and a second for re-vinyl the surface $350. The elbow wear is from lotion or skin care products which softens and degrades the vinyl.
Panels new are obsolete and used ones are hard to find without the damage plus they want $$$ for a damaged used part.
As for the wood laminate, it is real wood covered in urethane and my 2011 cracked because the backing plate is aluminum which expand greater than the wood during the heat and cracks the veneer. Land Rover knows about the issue up to 2013 model and the fix was a shorter wood veneer with a different backing 2014-2016.

veronicak7

Reaction score
I ordered a repair kit from ColourLock and found a piece of leather on Amazon. I'm going to try sanding the leather piece thin, recovering the piece under the window, and then use the liquid leather/dye to patch it in. I haven't received the kit yet but I'll post pictures of the repair when I'm finished!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA