New LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congrats on the purchase and welcome to the board. We need more active members!!! anyway, gas leak is standard option but not sure about the orange stripe on the windshield wiper...does it work??? I have 18' Compo on my car...it gives you more options for tires but had I known about the Coops before ordering the compo, I probably would have gone with that and painted the stock wheels flat black. But the Compo do make the LR more tank like.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...I have been trolling for a few months while waiting for the car, but I guess I am now active!

Well, i got back from discount tires. They will give me 80 per tire for the conti's, so a 400 credit. The tires are 231 each, compared to the 211 from the site David recommend, but when you add shipment, its probably a wash. It comes out to about 1k to make the change...or 3k if you go the Compo wheels route. I am having a hard time justifying either move with only 150 miles on the Continentals....the manager said the 400 trade in was good for until about 1,500 miles, so I have a bit of time before I have to make my decision.

David, or any of the others who have made the switch, can you confirm I picked out the right bulbs from amazon. (its the post right before LR4TQ's on page 1). THANK YOU.

Bought the rail tracks yesterday, will install tonight. Great posts and videos on the installation....this really is a great forum!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks David.

So, for the lights, is this what you recommend?:

2 packs of these (so 4 total bulbs):
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Cryst...hilips+H11+CrystalVision+Ultra+Headlight+Bulb

1 of these (2 total bulbs)
http://www.amazon.com/Putco-360-Deg...e+High+Intensity+LED+Premium+Replacement+Bulb

1 of these (2 total bulbs)
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Cysta...=Philips+H7+CystalVision+Ultra+Headlight+Bulb

Funny, i was just thinking about taking out the middle head rest this morning. I might even drop the center middle seat flat, thus sort of having captain chairs in the back....it will separate the kids from each other a bit!

Off to discount tires to see about the coops. I think you are right, unless the coops do not meet my needs, probably no need for the 18's given my intended use...for the next few years anyway.

BTW, picked up a cool used accessory on Friday. The OEM loadspace protector...the rigid one with the big lips. Downside, you have to leave it in the garage if you use the 3rd row seats (it will not roll up), but very well built . I bought it used for 100 bucks so it was a no brainer, not sure i would have paid 3x the price over the magtech one. But its very nice.
Thanks again.

Here is another picture...although the car looks way to clean!

View attachment 3010

Cheers,

Chris
Hello Chris,

My apologies for not seeing this post before, as I definitely would have responded. I hope you did not order the lights yet...

The first set of bulbs (the H11s, your first link) fit the low beams and fog lights, so that's fine IF you want to stick with halogen bulbs. A few of us switched to the HID kit (with slim ballasts) from DDM tuning for our low beams. I currently have the Philips CV H11s (as in your link) ONLY in my fog lights. I have the HID DDM tuning kit for my low beams. There is an entire thread dedicated to switching to the HID kit from DDM. It's not very expensive all, but requires a bit more installation than just a new halogen bulb. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21689&highlight=Lights

Here are the slim ballasts that most of us ordered:

QTY Item Information Item Number Price
DDM HID Kit, 35W, H11, 6000K
Bulb Color: 6000K
Bulb Type: H11
Wattage: 35 Watt
DDM35W.H11.6000K $45.00

I made the switch to the Philips CV for my low beams and it was definitely much better than the stock halogens; however, the HIDs are basically 100X better than the Philips CV and the look is very nice (identical to the stock LR4s with HID lights). So, before you order the Philips CV H11s for the low beams, take a look at that thread and figure out if you want the HIDs. If you do, I can help you through it - it's really easy!

As for the fog lights, you are correct... Order the Philips CV H11s (2 bulbs). The high beams you will order what you have listed, the Philips CV H7s.

DO NOT order the LED side marker bulbs, as we do NOT have those bulbs in our LR4s. Those bulbs are only found in the 2010 model that was non-Lux, meaning they did not have the LED signature lights. The 2011 and 2012 LR4s do not have those side marker lights. Take a look at your headlamp and you will see a tiny silver plug where that bulb would be located.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to private message me for more information.

-David

Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, i was just thinking about taking out the middle head rest this morning. I might even drop the center middle seat flat, thus sort of having captain chairs in the back....it will separate the kids from each other a bit!

Take the seat out and add an ARB fridge as an armrest? :smile:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries at all David, but next time, I expect a quicker response time. I think you and a few others should have a pager... :)

I really appreciate everyones help!

i haven't ordered anything yet. I will review and PM or post you with more questions!!!!

But I think you are saying:

Get two (bulbs) total CV H7's for the high beams:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00480J4PU/ref=nosim/5336121862-20

Get two (bulbs) total CV H11's for the fogs
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00480GYSA/ref=nosim/5336121862-20

Get the DDM kit for the lows
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
DDM35W.H11.6000K $45.00 (reduced to 40 bucks)

Any need for the harness, error eliminator, adaptor cables or mountain brackets ?

Anything else I need to order? Any final tips or tricks other than reading the post! Should i have any concern in installing the DDM HID kit...brand new car, fear of british electrical failure...the whole lucas, prince of darkness thing :smile:

It sounds like everyone thinks its a no brainer with no downside....just being a bit conservative as the car has less than 200 miles on it! But, yes, coming from the HID lights of the grand cherokee, the stock lights are a bit below what I would expect from the LR4...its is so amazing in other areas...

Tackling the roof rails tonight, people's stories of roof windows cracking are giving me the chills.....hopefully my torque wrench works...10nm doesn't seem like a lot of pressure so I should be fine

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries at all David, but next time, I expect a quicker response time. I think you and a few others should have a pager... :)

I really appreciate everyones help!

i haven't ordered anything yet. I will review and PM or post you with more questions!!!!

But I think you are saying:

Get two (bulbs) total CV H7's for the high beams:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00480J4PU/ref=nosim/5336121862-20

Get two (bulbs) total CV H11's for the fogs
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00480GYSA/ref=nosim/5336121862-20

Get the DDM kit for the lows
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
DDM35W.H11.6000K $45.00 (reduced to 40 bucks)

Any need for the harness, error eliminator, adaptor cables or mountain brackets ?

Anything else I need to order? Any final tips or tricks other than reading the post! Should i have any concern in installing the DDM HID kit...brand new car, fear of british electrical failure...the whole lucas, prince of darkness thing :smile:

It sounds like everyone thinks its a no brainer with no downside....just being a bit conservative as the car has less than 200 miles on it! But, yes, coming from the HID lights of the grand cherokee, the stock lights are a bit below what I would expect from the LR4...its is so amazing in other areas...

Tackling the roof rails tonight, people's stories of roof windows cracking are giving me the chills.....hopefully my torque wrench works...10nm doesn't seem like a lot of pressure so I should be fine
Hey Chris,

I have a stressful job so quickly looking at this site is my relief - haha! :)

Yes, you got everything correct. As for the DDM kit for the lows, there is an option for the slim ballast, it's worth the extra $10 dollars for the smaller sized ballast (easier to find a place to double-side tape it).

You do not need anything else, as it comes with all the cables you need. It's basically plug and play - very simple. One thing I did if you look through that REALLY long HID thread is that I ordered two (2) headlamp caps so I could drill a hole in one set to push the wires through and use electrical tape to really seal it up well. I see the photos do not really work on that thread, but I can e-mail you a bunch to show you what I mean. You can order these caps from your LR parts center and they run about $28.00 each. It may seem like a lot, but it gives me the piece of mind of making sure the headlamp is sealed up well and I can switch back.

I have had the kit installed for a year with no issues, as have other folks on the forum. I would definitely keep your stock halogens or get an extra set of H11s just in case you do have trouble, then you can switch them back to the halogens. That is the reason why I did not drill a hole in my OEM headlamp caps, as I kept those just in case I wanted to switch back. Honestly, I have brought my car in a few times and they never said anything. IF you were having electrical problems or issues with the lights, then you would definitely remove the HID kit and put back the halogens. It's a very easy process and definitely worth it.

Good luck with the roof rails. I did not install them because I have the Voyager rack. I do know you need to be very even and careful as not to crack the glass roof.

Keep me posted and feel free to ask questions! If you go with the DDM, then I will walk you through the process and send you pictures.

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad that I can provide some relief...my wife tells me I provide comic relief all of the time.

I will order what you suggested and take a look at the post for install instructions. I will also get the extra bulbs and the headlamp caps. Any pictures would be very welcome. I will certainly be picking every ones brains when they arrive.

(oops, never hit submit....ordered everything right before leaving for the giants game at angel stadium last night...ugly...zito was responsible for 8 runs...and he still has $30m+ left on his contract....)

Noticed two things on the car last night...first trip for more than a few minutes on the highway
1. Breaks or something squeals after being on the highway for a while. Never noticed it before, but then again, I had never been on the highway for one hr either. After getting off the freeway, while in stop and go traffic, i heard it. Then, when i drove home, I didn't hear it at the start, or on the freeway, but I did hear it as I pulled into the driveway. (@250 miles on the car). Ideas? I would assume its normal break squeal, except its weird that it only happens after I have been on the freeway for a while. (not a big issue, just curious)
2. At 75mph, I hear wind buffering near the sunroof. No racks or rails installed yet, nothing horrible, but a bit noticeable. Is that normal for these things? All the other seals seem to be pretty quiet.

Thanks all.

Cheers,

chris

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad that I can provide some relief...my wife tells me I provide comic relief all of the time.

I will order what you suggested and take a look at the post for install instructions. I will also get the extra bulbs and the headlamp caps. Any pictures would be very welcome. I will certainly be picking every ones brains when they arrive.

(oops, never hit submit....ordered everything right before leaving for the giants game at angel stadium last night...ugly...zito was responsible for 8 runs...and he still has $30m+ left on his contract....)

Noticed two things on the car last night...first trip for more than a few minutes on the highway
1. Breaks or something squeals after being on the highway for a while. Never noticed it before, but then again, I had never been on the highway for one hr either. After getting off the freeway, while in stop and go traffic, i heard it. Then, when i drove home, I didn't hear it at the start, or on the freeway, but I did hear it as I pulled into the driveway. (@250 miles on the car). Ideas? I would assume its normal break squeal, except its weird that it only happens after I have been on the freeway for a while. (not a big issue, just curious)
2. At 75mph, I hear wind buffering near the sunroof. No racks or rails installed yet, nothing horrible, but a bit noticeable. Is that normal for these things? All the other seals seem to be pretty quiet.

Thanks all.

Cheers,

chris

My old LR3 used to deafen poor drive through workers. They can be loud at times. It's probably just moisture or lack of it causing the noise. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a 6,000 pound vehicle and would cause any good brake pad to scream.

No idea about the sunroof issue. If you aren't getting any leaks, you're probably OK, but there have been seal issues on these vehicles. If you are getting wind noise inside, that may be an issue, but doubtful.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99