New Owner - a couple of questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

JG-Disco1

Hi,

Just got a Discovery 1 - 95 with 49k miles, and I have to say it is an awesome vehicle - I really love driving it.

I am having a couple of problems and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice . . .

When I start the engine from cold - it starts ok and seems to run fine - however when the engine is warm it will not idle smoothly - it hunts around 400 - 600 rpm. Whne I start the engine warm it will rev to over 1k then sometimes stall - or the revs will be up and down quite dramatically between 1k and 0 !

Coupled with the the cruise control does not seem to work - I press the cruise button and the light comes on - however when I press the set button nothing happens.

From browsing around I am thinking that the Vehicle Speed Sensor is faulty - however if anyone has any ideas I would be happy to hear.

Jason

P.S. Great board with some superb postings - keep up the good work.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Welcome. On your cruise control...I believe I posted once a long while ago about it. I would check all of your hoses first for a leak ..they are rather easy to replace and cheap as sin. Moose pointed me towards the brake switch which was faulty on my 1998 D1. Replaced and problem was fixed. Or try the vacumm pump.. Which you will find located near the front driver side headlight, directly below/to the left of the power steering pump. You will need to wiggle and jiggle for mine did not come out with ease (as usual be careful). I had to remove the bottle jack to get the cruise control pump out. Hope this helps.
Best, Melissa

D

discomike

Jason,
With both the idle and cruise acting, check all the vacumn lines, they are old enough to al be leaking.
May want to make sure your throttle body is clean and not gummed up. Could also be a dirty stepper motor.
Good luck, stay in touch,
Mike j.

J

JG-Disco1

A Huge thank you

You guys are awesome - I must say a huge thank you to RoverChic and Disco Mike for spot on advice - I removed the Vaccum pump to find the hose split at the end - in lieu of replacing the hose I trimmed a short section off the end, reattached the hose and hey presto I now have cruise control :biggrin:

I also took off the Idle Air Control Valve and gave it a bit of a clean and it seems to idle much smoother now as well. I think all the hoses will need replacement very soon - but for now I am a very happy owner.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Jason :hello:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Jason so glad I could help and that your rover is fixed for now!!
Best, Melissa

D

discomike

Me too Jason, glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the truck.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you use to clean the IAC, Jason?

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured but wanted to check first. I figure thats one more thing I can do. Hmmm....my list of things to do keeps getting bigger all the time.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monty said:
That's what I figured but wanted to check first. I figure thats one more thing I can do. Hmmm....my list of things to do keeps getting bigger all the time.

Teeeheee. Its not how long is it. Its that it never gets empty.. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM