New owner of 86 D90 w Transfer Case leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattL

Reaction score
Hello! Just got my first D90 and need some advise. The transfer case is leaking from the round PTO cover (?) top back of transfer box. They used RTV as gasket for the cover…. Can I just remove cover, clean it up and replace w gasket without messing up any seals, gears or shaft? And is there a seal under the cover that I need to replace? Thanks for any advise.

thom_worldwide

Reaction score
Congrats on the D90! The round cover at the top rear of the transfer case is the power take off cover. It is above the oil level and easy to remove and clean up. Oil splashes up to the top in order to lube the input gear. When you open it, you will see the tail end of that gear.

Here’s a picture:
LT230.jpg

More pics in this article:

The most common leak point on that I have experienced is the intermediate shaft o-ring. That leak will show up at the front of the transfer case between the transfer case and the transmission. On the picture above, the location is indicated by “Intermediate pin”.

Good luck,
Thom

MattL

Reaction score
Thank you Thom! I successfully installed a new PTO cover gasket. It didn’t have one at all, just used RTV apparently. Anyway, that one is now not leaking, but looks like maybe the rear seal is leaking. Oh well, I’ll do that one next. Thanks for the advise!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut