New Recall Alert : Fuel System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received a recall alert from GasBuddy for my LR4 and i know some other members have had issues will gas smells:

FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP:MOUNTING PLATE/FLANGE, FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE​

August 11th, 2021​

A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source increases the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V635000

Components: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP:MOUNTING PLATE/FLANGE, FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Summary

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Land Rover) is recalling certain 2010-2013 Range Rover Sport and 2010-2016 LR4 vehicles equipped with 3.0L V6 or 5.0L V8 engines. The fuel outlet flange mounted on the fuel tank may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak.

Remedy

Dealers will replace the fuel outlet flange, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed October 8, 2021. Owners may contact Land Rover customer service at 1-800-637-6837. Land Rover's number for this recall is N623.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Land Rover) is recalling certain 2010-2013 Range Rover Sport and 2010-2016 LR4 vehicles equipped with 3.0L V6 or 5.0L V8 engines. The fuel outlet flange mounted on the fuel tank may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak.

Curious what "certain" means in this context. Are only certain vehicles in that date range affected? Or is it grammatically awkward and the "certain" pertains to the LR4 and RRS generally, and the date range defines the certainty?

I would imagine it's the latter. I don't see there being any variance in the parts used in that date range. It's not like the HD package or Lux package or anything else would alter the fuel outlet flange part.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing for mind (2012) either. Maybe it will take a few days to show up on the website.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if if won't show online until JLR starts sending notifications? I haven't received notification through my CarMax warranty yet either.

Do all RRS in that range have the same parts, or was there some change in the years after '13? I'm not keen on RRS model year nuances.

Would there be any other maintenance items to address while this was being performed to cut any costs on labor while they had everything dropped and apart?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a big design change for the RRS after 2013 - went to a monocoque body rather than a body/frame design in the earlier models. That likely changed everything including the fuel tank design.

Does anyone know if the fuel tank flange is an integrated unit with the low pressure pump and filter? I’m hoping they have to replace the whole unit so we get a new pump and filter as well. If not, I’m thinking the pump should be replaced while the tank is out - I’ve seen a numer of reports about the low pressure pump getting weak. Should be very little additional effort, but knowing these LR dealers, they’ll probably squeeze us pretty hard for it.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@16FujiDisco - Thanks for picking this up and posting it so fast - I’m going to link this thread over at landroverforums, and at the RRS forum hear. Hate to think some people might be spending big bucks to fix this issue (or, worse, putting it off) without knowing a recall is in the works.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also searched NHTSA by my VIN and came up empty, but when i checked by vehicle make/model it shows up.

1 Associated Investigation
Fuel Tank Flange Leak
NHTSA ID:
PE20018
Dated opened: November 5, 2020
The subject vehicles are model year (MY) 2010 through 2011 Land Rover LR4 (L319) and Range Rover Sport (L320) vehicles equipped with fuel tank flange part number AH229039AB. The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) has received six consumer complaints (VOQs) alleging fuel leakage from cracked tank flanges in the subject vehicles. In addition, ODI identified 5 field reports and 200 warranty claims related to the alleged defect in the subject vehicles as part of the peer vehicle field data analysis in Recall Query RQ19-004 regarding tank flange leaks in MY 2010 through 2012 Jaguar XF vehicles. In 2013 Jaguar Land Rover LLC (JLR) submitted a foreign recall report related to the alleged defect in the subject vehicles (Foreign Recall 13F-098). The foreign recall was conducted in eight Middle East countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen).

In response to ODI's information request letter for RQ19-004, JLR indicated that a modified fuel tank flange was implemented as a running change in MY 2011 production of the subject vehicles. Internal ribbing was added to the modified flanges, which increased the strength and creep resistance of the parts in the areas were cracking had been observed. Tank flanges with internal ribbing are identified by part numbers AH229039AC and AH229039AD. The modified flanges were used in approximately 27,882 MY 2011 through 2015 LR4 vehicles and 32,822 MY 2011 through 2013 Range Rover Sport vehicles (peer vehicles). A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to assess the failure rate and severity of the fuel tank flange cracking condition in subject and peer vehicles sold in the United States.

The following VOQ numbers are associated with this opening resume: 11280630, 11220260, 11155570, 11139276, 11132102, 11098107.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a big design change for the RRS after 2013 - went to a monocoque body rather than a body/frame design in the earlier models. That likely changed everything including the fuel tank design.

Does anyone know if the fuel tank flange is an integrated unit with the low pressure pump and filter? I’m hoping they have to replace the whole unit so we get a new pump and filter as well. If not, I’m thinking the pump should be replaced while the tank is out - I’ve seen a numer of reports about the low pressure pump getting weak. Should be very little additional effort, but knowing these LR dealers, they’ll probably squeeze us pretty hard for it.
From what I can tell from the parts sites, they are separate pieces. Maybe one of the folks who have had recent problems would be able to chime in for sure.

@16FujiDisco - Thanks for picking this up and posting it so fast - I’m going to link this thread over at landroverforums, and at the RRS forum hear. Hate to think some people might be spending big bucks to fix this issue (or, worse, putting it off) without knowing a recall is in the works.
No problem, we're all in this together haha! It probably wouldn't have really registered if there wasn't some threads about folks having problems and smelling gas recently

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA