New to LR - considering LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wordsworth03

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there have been several threads on this and I have been browsing the forums and reading up on the LR3 quite a bit recently. I have read up on the common issues with this truck and I know that LR's require a lot of TLC to keep them well maintained. I need an SUV mostly for family hauling including long trips, but only occasional off-roading use. I really do not like the current lineup of standard SUVs that are out there and would opt for something different if I can.

There is a currently a 2008 LR3 available locally but it has 134k miles on it. Having said that, the current owner has replaced a lot in the past 1-2 years including the AC compressor, radiator, air suspension compressor, sunroof weatherstripping (apparently the TCU was fried due to water damage so that was replaced as well), brakes/rotors, alternator, tie rod ends, control arm/ball joint, rear sway bar bushings, battery (possibly more, waiting on records). They have all of the records for the recent repairs but I'm not sure what has been done prior to them owning it.

This seems like they have covered a lot of the usual repairs for this model but 134k miles is still a lot of miles. Do these engines eventually need a rebuild? Are the transmissions reliable in general? I've also read about some of the differential issues. I know that more repairs are coming for it and I'm ok with that, I just don't want to be stranded on the side of the road one day on a long road trip.

I live in Portland, OR so there are a few local Rover repair shops which is nice.

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can listen for differentials on a test drive. If they aren't whining then they are probably okay just change the fluid after you buy it. I would be a little worried about the water damage (downstream effects) and the radiator. Did it cause other coolant system problems? Did the engine overheat? All the other stuff is fairly common and for the most part are wear items.

wordsworth03

Reaction score
Yeah, the water damage is always a bit concerning. The records showed that they removed the carpet in the passenger footwell to let it dry out. And other than damaging the TCU, who knows what else could have been damaged in the process.

I don't know the specifics about the radiator but that's a good point about how long it was overheating.

Any thoughts on a fair price, having only limited knowledge of the vehicle?

Thanks for your reply.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I don't know...I don't really price these things. I've had mine for almost 11 years and I have no designs on selling it so I haven't looked at resale values.

What I CAN tell you though, is that if you're patient the right one will appear to you, AND the Tillamook State Forest beckons. So close to Portland and SO MANY great trails!

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALCON: I have a 2008 LR3 HSE that I'm a huge fan of. I bought it used from the dealership in 2010 so used the balance of the factory warranty. I know have the Ford PremiumCare ESP (no longer offered) until around 115k miles.
That said, I've taken very good care of it and proactively had work done. But I've had both differentials replaced, a myriad of suspension bits - control arms, etc - windshield, and other things. The parts aren't cheap and the labor, unless you can do it yourself, is pricey when you compare to an American SUV. But, aside from the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited there really aren't any decent SUVs available like 15-20 years ago. I have a '96 Chevrolet Tahoe that I recently gave to my family to use in New Mexico, better than the Northeast. It's built on the Chevrolet 1500 truck chassis but they haven't done that since the late 1990s.
Bottom line, the LR3 drives great, is very comfortable, and has been really reliable for me. The issues I've had and the expenses I've put on it come from miles and me being very proactive in addressing maintenance early. The 2008 year also doesn't have the issues of some of the earlier years and with 135k miles on the one you're considering, maybe most or all of that has been done. But get a good LR mechanic to check it out as well before you complete your purchase.
I don't know what I'm going to do for my next SUV.....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what I'm going to do for my next SUV.....

I think you speak for all of us with this statement.

There really isn't anything else, that you can buy new, quite like the LR3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635