New to the forum - Pickup 2014 LR4 today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my waterpump in 2hrs and for a couple hundred for the pump and parts. Easily accessible.

Crossover pipes is a little more involved.
The v8 is a few hundred in parts and 3+hrs. Not sure in the v6sc engine, but I'm sure it's a little more difficult.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure there isn't a good way to check the crossover pipes without dissembling. There is a newer updated part that you might be able to see, but I'm not sure.

The water pump isn't really the big issue. The crossover pipe can burst and cook an engine without much warning.

I know the water pumps can have a slow leak, but the skid plates usually catch it.

Water pump is easy to get to from what I've seen (I had mine replaced under warranty recently)

The thought is to replace the crossover pipes, and while everything is apart, throw a new water pump in as well, since they can leak slowly.

I had two water pumps leak. One slow and one fast so don't ignore a pump that leaks!

Matt1t

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'll be keeping this all in mind as I'm still in my 7 day test drive period.

disco-stu

Reaction score
Water pump and front crossover pipe are easily doable DIY. I did it all in about 3 hours. Hardest part was getting the fan off. Don't overtorque the water pump bolts or one can go from righty tighty to righty loosey real quick. Don't ask me how I know.

Matt1t

Reaction score
My 7 day period is up and I decided to keep it. I like the way it drives and the functionality is what I need. For anyones information, I wouldn't use Carvana again. Too much hassle and trying to schedule delivery or pickup of a vehicle becomes problematic. I'd rather just get it all done is one 3 hour swoop. I hope this LR4 is as solid as my Discovery II was. If so, I should be happy for some time.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 7 day period is up and I decided to keep it. I like the way it drives and the functionality is what I need. For anyones information, I wouldn't use Carvana again. Too much hassle and trying to schedule delivery or pickup of a vehicle becomes problematic. I'd rather just get it all done is one 3 hour swoop. I hope this LR4 is as solid as my Discovery II was. If so, I should be happy for some time.

Great to hear, and here's to a mostly trouble-free summer and beyond.

FYI, I just read in this morning's WSJ that Carmax is going from its traditional 7-days to a 30-day money back guarantee period. That a big differentiator.

Matt1t

Reaction score
Oh wow, good for Carmax. I'm actually a fan of Carmax. My wife bought a Mercedes-Benz R350 awhile back. Nothing but issues. That vehicle left my wife and kids stranded around town a few times. I told them to buy it back for what we owe and we would pick a different vehicle from the lot. They saw all the issues we were having and agreed. They could have dragged their feet and made us jump through hoops, but they didn't. Carmax did the right thing and for that I will always recommend them.

Thanks @cperez! I hope for a trouble-free summer as well.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, good for Carmax. I'm actually a fan of Carmax. My wife bought a Mercedes-Benz R350 awhile back. Nothing but issues. That vehicle left my wife and kids stranded around town a few times. I told them to buy it back for what we owe and we would pick a different vehicle from the lot. They saw all the issues we were having and agreed. They could have dragged their feet and made us jump through hoops, but they didn't. Carmax did the right thing and for that I will always recommend them.

Thanks @cperez! I hope for a trouble-free summer as well.

That’s a great testimonial. My daughter recently sold her car to them and bought a new one from them. They took care of all of the issues she noticed and it’s been a good set of wheels for her (Jeep Grand Cherokee; she wanted a Landy but it wasn’t in the cards at this time...meaning, not in her budget. But she’s a big fan.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA