New TPMSs for new R18 tires LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

equalizer

Reaction score
Hi,
very new to this forum, and new to LR4 ownership.

I am about to get some new tires on 18in wheels and I couldn't find sufficiently detailed info on tire pressure monitoring sensors.
After searching I found some users say they kept old TPMSs, some say they disabled them.

Say, I want to buy a new set of 4 (or 5 for spare) TPMS. Which ones shall I use for a 2016 LR4?
Any concerns with non-OEM TPMSs?
I see there are 2 with different frequencies. Is the IID tool necessary to configure new TPMSs?

Thanks

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IID tool is necessary to disable the TPMS system if you want to go without it.

I'm not sure what aftermarket TPMS sensors work, but, after a lot of trial and error, using at least 2 different aftermarket sensors, my local Discount Tire had to go with OEM Land Rover TPMS sensors to get them to work.

If you are going to run your 18" wheels full time, you can just reuse the sensors in your original wheels.

gleung

Reaction score
better check by vin decoder and see what frequency your TPMS equipped with.
afaik IID has nothing to deal with the additional new tpms sensor but clearing TPMS fault etc.

for your non oem route you could disable TPMS by IID for the startup warning

for oem route with new tpms sensor, your require tpms tools (eg TS401) to activate sensor from "sleep mode"

as soon as those new oem sensor been activated, the tpms module will pair them up automatically - plug and play

Jazzy

Reaction score
If possible, reuse the tpms from oem wheels. I’m running the 18” wheels, but I purchased new non-oem from discount tires when installed...haven’t worked since purchasing. First they used wrong frequency, so replaced (Land Rover informed me North America uses 315 MHz). They still didn’t work, I think they used Huff? I’ve made about 4 trips to discount tire, no solution. Called LR and they charge $120 per...so ordered from Rock Auto for $40...arriving this week and Discount Tires said they’ll give me my money back and install for free.
Not sure if they’ll work, but I’ll update after driving for several days.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If possible, reuse the tpms from oem wheels. I’m running the 18” wheels, but I purchased new non-oem from discount tires when installed...haven’t worked since purchasing. First they used wrong frequency, so replaced (Land Rover informed me North America uses 315 MHz). They still didn’t work, I think they used Huff? I’ve made about 4 trips to discount tire, no solution. Called LR and they charge $120 per...so ordered from Rock Auto for $40...arriving this week and Discount Tires said they’ll give me my money back and install for free.
Not sure if they’ll work, but I’ll update after driving for several days.

Land Rover used two different frequencies, and it changed somewhere along the model run of the LR4. LR4s went from 315MHz to 433MHz in 2013.

Discount Tire used the correct frequency on mine, but it didn't work for the first two TPMS sensors they used. I think they wound up having to get one from Land Rover.

Last edited:

Jazzy

Reaction score
ryanjl good point regarding change in frequency as my LR4 is a 2012.
Interesting your DT purchased oem as I asked them to purchase oem, but they said I’d need to purchase through LR dealer and they’d just give me money back and install for free. Oh well, I’ve been driving around with the light on for a year, what’s another few weeks.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ryanjl good point regarding change in frequency as my LR4 is a 2012.
Interesting your DT purchased oem as I asked them to purchase oem, but they said I’d need to purchase through LR dealer and they’d just give me money back and install for free. Oh well, I’ve been driving around with the light on for a year, what’s another few weeks.

Mine was in a spare tire. I went from a space-saver to a full size spare when I got new tires, and had Discount Tire put the spare in. They mounted the new wheel in the spare tire location, and I don't have my TPMS monitor turned on for my spare, so I didn't realize it didn't work until I had them rotate the tires about 7 months later. That's when I went through a few rounds of back-and-forth where they tried to get it to work. I only assume they finally went to a Land Rover TPMS, but they maybe only did it because I had paid for it 7 months before.

Jazzy

Reaction score
So just left discount tire and the VDU TPMS sensors, which have an aluminum nut similar to the OEM TPMS would not sit flush in the 18” terrafirma wheel. I called both Lucky8 and Atlantic British and asked about compatible sensors for wheel and they said they haven’t heard of TPMS that fit the wheel and work. I asked what are people doing and informed just driving with the light on.

Discount tires reinstalled the huff-brand TPMS back in my tires, has a rubber neck that’s bendable/adjustable and thus is flush and creates a seal whereas OEM aluminum can’t bend. The hole for the valve stem in wheel is angled, which is fine, but the lifted center part of the wheel impedes the path of the air valve stem, which doesn’t allow the aluminum but to tighten fully, creating flush seal.

2 options, I use an IID tool to override tpms light or, get attach sensors to inter tubes and throw them in the back (not sure if that’ll actually work, haha, but at this point willing to try anything)

Ryanjl, what did you do to get tpms to work in terrafirma wheels? Thanks.

equalizer

Reaction score
Posting an update on OEM TPMS sensors on Compos on '16 LR4.

Background: I moved the OEM TPMS sensors from the 20'' to the new 18'' compos (and have their valve stems replaced, $15 per sensor, btw) a few weeks back.

Situation: Yesterday both front wheels TPMS valve stems started leaking during the night and tire pressure went below 10PSI - couldn't inflate it past 15psi. A temperature differential of ~40F and bad stems? were the likely cause for the fail. Stems were bubbling up with seals covered in soap.

Action: Took them off from all tires, and will disable TPMS with gap tool today.

Ad: If interested, I got some OEM TPMS sensors to sell with quite some life on the batteries :) Private message me.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just left discount tire and the VDU TPMS sensors, which have an aluminum nut similar to the OEM TPMS would not sit flush in the 18” terrafirma wheel. I called both Lucky8 and Atlantic British and asked about compatible sensors for wheel and they said they haven’t heard of TPMS that fit the wheel and work. I asked what are people doing and informed just driving with the light on.

Discount tires reinstalled the huff-brand TPMS back in my tires, has a rubber neck that’s bendable/adjustable and thus is flush and creates a seal whereas OEM aluminum can’t bend. The hole for the valve stem in wheel is angled, which is fine, but the lifted center part of the wheel impedes the path of the air valve stem, which doesn’t allow the aluminum but to tighten fully, creating flush seal.

2 options, I use an IID tool to override tpms light or, get attach sensors to inter tubes and throw them in the back (not sure if that’ll actually work, haha, but at this point willing to try anything)

Ryanjl, what did you do to get tpms to work in terrafirma wheels? Thanks.

Mine was in an OEM wheel, not Terrafirma.

Sounds like you may just need to disable the TPMS with the GAP tool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72