New vs. Used Mass Air Sensors/ 97 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the old air filter was very dirty & with leyers of oil on it. After replacing the new one i have checked after one month still its clean there i no oil so far.

Thank,
Arshard

Great - as I said, the MAF may have been contaminated by the old filthy air fiter.

I suspect once you properly clean your MAF and stay up on maintenance, you'll be fine.

luck,greg

hi_arshard

Reaction score
MAF cleaning

Hi Greg,

I tested the pressure for the fuel rails its good even after 2 hours the pressure is same.

Regarding the MAF, i cleaned it well with the electronic cleaner know as contact cleaner.

i even split the MAF by removing the screws & cleaned but there is no big difference on fuel consumption. If i pump full tank it runs only around 160 to 180 KM in city in the high way it does around 230 to 270 KM.

Please Advice..... ?

Thank,
Arshard

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

I tested the pressure for the fuel rails its good even after 2 hours the pressure is same.

Regarding the MAF, i cleaned it well with the electronic cleaner know as contact cleaner.

i even split the MAF by removing the screws & cleaned but there is no big difference on fuel consumption. If i pump full tank it runs only around 160 to 180 KM in city in the high way it does around 230 to 270 KM.

Please Advice..... ?

Thank,
Arshard

It's good that your fuel rail holds pressure, so for the moment I'd rule out leaking injectors.

230 --270km on the highway? -- I'm surprised you don't have a constant cloud of black smoke behind you.

The best I've gotten on the highway was over 400 MILES.
that was just over 20 mpg @ 65 mph on cruise control.

Without doing the math, my guess is you're getting maybe 150 miles/tank, or 7.5 mpg

I'd double check your numbers, take it to a decent shop.

This is way beyond fixing with conversation, in my opinion.

Please let us know how it turns out though, we welcome the information.

luck,greg

hi_arshard

Reaction score
MAF cleaning

Ur exactly right i'm getting around 7.5 mpg. Yes there is black smoke but not cloudy,
what could be the issue ? from where can i start checking.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ur exactly right i'm getting around 7.5 mpg. Yes there is black smoke but not cloudy,
what could be the issue ? from where can i start checking.

could be:

bad MAF

bad o2's

bad distributor

bad timing

bad sparkplugs

ECU malfunction

any combination of the above

does it run smoothly?

does it start instantly?

does it idle smoothly?

what rpm does it idle at?

Has a mechanic looked at it?

checked compression? - firing order? - Timing? - spark plug gap?

When you used the contact cleaner, does it say on the can "no - residue"?

If it doesn't, it may leave a fine lubricant that will burn onto the hotwire in the MAF.

I believe you have a distributor, if so, does the timing advace work properly? if so, how many degrees does it advance at 2500rpm?

What is the static setting?

luck,greg

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a quick questionn on cleaning injectors

I'm sure you've already checked for leaks front to back so:

I doubt your MAF is the problem unless you put in a bad one(dirty) or have an over-oiled
permanent air filter (I will only use a paper air filter)
or don't change your paper filter at the proper times.

When my'97 was smelling gas on startup and idling rich, it was the fuel injectors leaking (although there are other possible reasons for running rich)

Next time you shut down, come back in 20 mins. and see if you still have pressure at the test valve on your fuel rail.

I cleaned mine and now hold pressure for hours + it idles great & no more smell.

To answer your question, pull your MAF off, let it cool down (15mins.), then spray the heck out of the insides with either MAF cleaner or electronic cleaner.

(they will not leave a film on the fragile hotwire inside)

Mine have worked perfect for years after cleaning.

luck,greg

Hey Greg;

What did you clean your injectors with?

Wolf

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Greg;

What did you clean your injectors with?

Wolf

Mine were leaking down (Lucas) - I replaced with 2002 ford 4.6L---5.4L 19# injectors
$40/8 used ebay--- $25 rebuild kit -- ebay

I dissassembled, soaked in injector cleaner for a couple of days, then I used a 6v ac adaptor & cycled them until they clicked sharply.(no gum)

I took a piece of clear 3/8? hose, fit over end, filled with brakeclean, blew compressed air thru.

I did this both directions. Spray pattern looked good and importantly, all injectors came from the same car.

I then shot wd40 in them, installed new filter baskets & o-rings

The following week I put them in.

I think I wrote about the injectors here, with numbers. search ford fuel injectors

P.S. - I was going to use my wife's ultrasonic jewelry basket, but got caught.

luck,greg

Last edited:

klaine1

Reaction score
How do you test the Mass Air Flow Sensor?

My DII 2004 with 140k miles is in limp mode. I'm assuming it is my MAS. (P0102, P1319,P1884, P1174 and random misfires) I've cleaned it good with Brak-leen with no success. I would like to test it to make sure it is broke before i buy a new one. The ECM fuses are not blown. I recently replaced the head gaskets and water pump, and everything seems to be ok (except of course the Three Amigos - even after the mod). I'm not sure where to go from here.

thanks

Smith

Reaction score
Hello all (just found this topic),

I have 96 Discovery. Just replaced MAF after having difficulty starting once warm up. After replacing with New OEM MAF sensor now Discovery is hard to start when warm (backfires). Once started I have to push the idle to 1700-2000 RPM for a few minutes.

How can I test MAF sensor to determine New OEM MAF sensor is working correctly.

Thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a ault code or something indicating the MAF is bad, is your truck running bad?
New vs. used, just a big difference in price. Get your tested, not cleaned at first. If it is bad a used one that has been tested will be as good as a new one for a lot less.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink