New vs. Used Mass Air Sensors/ 97 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theshadman

Reaction score
The price of a new mass air flow sensor for my 97 disco would tattoo me....any sources on a use one?...At this point, I'm trying to source the part.......

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
MAF is not something I would buy used if that is your issue.

I know it will not help right now, but working on a solution to eliminate the MAF sensor via a new venture I am starting, but it may be 6 months or so out before we have a sell-able solution.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know your MAF is bad?

Have you tried cleaning it?

I've cleaned (3) for my (2)rovers - (1) spare - it's been at least two yrs. now - all's well.

If you do clean it, don't spray it while it's hot

I sprayed the crap out of mine, with maf cleaner, electronic cleaner.

I will only use a high quality paper filter also.

Never mind, I just saw your other post. - I bought my spare (works great) on ebay 3--4yrs ago - $50?

luck,greg

Last edited:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price of a new mass air flow sensor for my 97 disco would tattoo me....any sources on a use one?...At this point, I'm trying to source the part.......

You can get rebuilt ones at autopartsway.com ., etc., but be careful and make sure you get a warranty.

Wolf

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also want to know how you figure your MAF is dead, have you tested it if so what sort of signal did you get from it?

hi_arshard

Reaction score
MAF cleaning

Guys please let me know how do i clean the Air Mass Sensore is there any special tool or liquid ? my disco 95 extreamly solows feul & i can spell petrol when i off the engine or as i start, can i assume that this is b'coz of a bad or pure Air Mass sensor ? i have replaced it 5 months back.

Arshad

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys please let me know how do i clean the Air Mass Sensore is there any special tool or liquid ? my disco 95 extreamly solows feul & i can spell petrol when i off the engine or as i start, can i assume that this is b'coz of a bad or pure Air Mass sensor ? i have replaced it 5 months back.

Arshad

I'm sure you've already checked for leaks front to back so:

I doubt your MAF is the problem unless you put in a bad one(dirty) or have an over-oiled
permanent air filter (I will only use a paper air filter)
or don't change your paper filter at the proper times.

When my'97 was smelling gas on startup and idling rich, it was the fuel injectors leaking (although there are other possible reasons for running rich)

Next time you shut down, come back in 20 mins. and see if you still have pressure at the test valve on your fuel rail.

I cleaned mine and now hold pressure for hours + it idles great & no more smell.

To answer your question, pull your MAF off, let it cool down (15mins.), then spray the heck out of the insides with either MAF cleaner or electronic cleaner.

(they will not leave a film on the fragile hotwire inside)

Mine have worked perfect for years after cleaning.

luck,greg

Last edited:

hi_arshard

Reaction score
MAF cleaning

Thank you for your reply Greg,

I have not done the leak check front to back, which u mentioned below pls give me some more detail ? from where should i start this check & how ?

As you mentiona below how do i check the pressure on the test valve on fuel rail ?

Can u please give me some more detail for cleaning the MAF, i pulled it out nothing is visible to be cleaned i can just see a mesh steal filter in the side which face the air filter & can i use WD40 for this ?.

The Air filter is fine i changed it one month back & just double checked its ok.

Thank you
Arshard

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Greg,

I have not done the leak check front to back, which u mentioned below pls give me some more detail ? from where should i start this check & how ?

As you mentiona below how do i check the pressure on the test valve on fuel rail ?

Can u please give me some more detail for cleaning the MAF, i pulled it out nothing is visible to be cleaned i can just see a mesh steal filter in the side which face the air filter & can i use WD40 for this ?.

The Air filter is fine i changed it one month back & just double checked its ok.

Thank you
Arshard

By front to back, I mean looking for gas leaks ( under truck, around engine)

the fuel rails are the (2) tubes on top of the engine, there's a fitting with an innertube-type
valve on one of the tubes(passenger side).

With the engine off, after about 20 minutes

If it has a cap (looks like a tire valve cap) take a rag and put under it,(gas should leak out)
push in on the pin in the center.

You should get a squirt of gas out of it.

If you do, that would tell me your injectors are not leaking.

To clean the Maf, squirt alot of Maf cleaner, (sold at auto parts) into both ends of the Maf
You're just spaying it clean, including the screen.

You can find small openings in the center, spray them.

This will rinse out the dust, oil film and stuff.

Do NOT spray with WD40 because it is oil, if you did, clean it again with MAF or electronic cleaner.

You changed your air filter a month ago, but was the old one dirty?
This may have started a while back.

luck,greg

hi_arshard

Reaction score
MAF cleaning

Yes, the old air filter was very dirty & with leyers of oil on it. After replacing the new one i have checked after one month still its clean there i no oil so far.

Thank,
Arshard

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90