Not starting first time (after service)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThomasM

Reaction score
Recently had my Defender serviced and it's been back 3 times, without sorting out the problem. Note, when my car went in for a service it was fine.

Symptoms:

Does not start on first crank, but usually on second (sometimes only on the third crank). If I start her within 4 hours it works on the first crank, thereafter it reverts to the above problem. There is excessive smoke on start up, which was never the case before. When I start her when she is warm there is no smoke, nor does it smoke when I am driving, i.e. only on cold starts.

Now for the kicker! If I leave her inactive for 40 hours, she again starts perfectly first time. So my problem is between 4 and 40 houts.

The mechanic said that the only thing he can think of is that the fuel pump is not functioning properly, i.e. the return valve does not keep the fuel in the line. He said I must bleed her before I start, and if she cranks first time then it is definitely the fuel pump. I tried this (twice) but the problem persists, so I don't think it is the fuel pump. In any case it would have been a major coincidence if the fuel pump goes while the car is being serviced!

They have also tried the following:

1. Checked glow plugs
2. Checked that both plugs at the air box were fitted back on
3. Checked that the relays under passenger seat aren't loose
4. Checked that injectors have been replaced in their original positions

Anything else?

I would appreciate it if you could advise how to resolve this.

Thank you

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles on you Defender? What work did they do at service?

ThomasM

Reaction score
Hi Joey. It has 90,000km (56,000 miles). It was a minor service. I like to change the oil and filters every 10,000km instead of just doing the recommended 20,000km service because I drive a fair bit of dust. So all they did was change the oil, air and centrefugal filters. Just spoke to them and they are convinced it's the fuel pump.

Cheers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to agree, but it does sound like a fuel pump issue.

Not sure I would take it to the dealer and pay them an arm and a leg to change it, but that is me.

Just one quick question though, when you turn the key on (and it doesn't start) do you hear the fuel pump kick on? It could be a stuck relay.

ThomasM

Reaction score
Nope, don't hear it come on any more (used to). How do I determine whether it's a stuck relay? Bear in mind that I am a mechanical ignoramus.

Just thought of something else: when I was in Botswana 3 months ago I filled up the tank from a jerry can and the nozzle came loose and fell in the tank. The "nozzle" was a small plastic hose, about 1 inch in diameter and 2 inches long. Could this have any impact? I think not, because the fuel intake at the base of the pump has 3 fairly large openings.

Thanks for quick response.

Cheers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
plastic nozzle shouldn't matter.

Okay after reading through the manual, I don't see any relay's (I was thinking petrol) You have the fuel pump in the tank, and also a lift pump in the engine bay. Either one or both of these could be your issue.

either way I recommend downloading the repair manual http://www.landroverresource.com/

The first link, and looking through the TDI section for the Defender

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635