OEM hitch receiver, or aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend the extra coin to get an OEM cast receiver or not. From what I can tell, the main advantage of it is that it's lockable?

Any input?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be able to find a used one for $300 or so. That's what I did (Mine was legit never used)

The OEM one does lock, and works well (Just don't leave it in the car, can get harder to get out)

It also acts like a plow off road, so I only have it in when I'm towing my boat.

The rhino hitch is the other popular aftermarket option. It mounts slightly higher, but is more permanent (Bolted in)

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah, I will be offroading so I don't want to drag the tail much.

Geez, I'd ****** a LR040248 up for $300! Where have you seen them for that price? FleaBay asks are a lot higher.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah, I will be offroading so I don't want to drag the tail much.

Geez, I'd ****** a LR040248 up for $300! Where have you seen them for that price? FleaBay asks are a lot higher.
I’ll sell you mine...I’m about to move to the rhino hitch. I’ve never had an issue with my lr hitch while off-roading, and have done Uwharrie several times with it on.

My reason for converting is I need a hitch that is about 2” higher for a overland trailer I pull.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the atlantic British hitch. its not pretty, and its "permanent". but at 1/3 the cost of a cheaply prices used OEM hitch...it gets the job done.

I’ll sell you mine...I’m about to move to the rhino hitch. I’ve never had an issue with my lr hitch while off-roading, and have done Uwharrie several times with it on.

My reason for converting is I need a hitch that is about 2” higher for a overland trailer I pull.

...why wouldn't you just get a different ball mount, with a different rise?

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the atlantic British hitch. its not pretty, and its "permanent". but at 1/3 the cost of a cheaply prices used OEM hitch...it gets the job done.

...why wouldn't you just get a different ball mount, with a different rise?

because the trailer is on a lock and roll hitch, not a ball mount. Special setup for over landing. If the trailer or truck roll, the other doesn’t go with it.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the OEM one. It is very well designed and rock solid. The removability is key for my applications. Just make sure you clean and lube it every once in a while including the key hole with WD40 or similar as the whole system can get gummed up a little if you just leave it on there all the time esp here in the northeast.

patski

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend the extra coin to get an OEM cast receiver or not. From what I can tell, the main advantage of it is that it's lockable?

Any input?

Decreases your departure angle but I use the Curt one from Amazon, comes with bolt threading wire thingys that make it pretty easy to install.

Been on 10 yrs now...

IMG_9384.jpg

download.png

surferdrew

Reaction score
I also have OEM and rock solid including ability to be lockable with easy remove when not in use.

I’m going to sell as I never do any towing and doesn’t get used much.

Have been meaning to get around to posting on eBay but willing to sell at lower price here on the forums.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick