Offroad First Impressions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the LR3 to the trails for the first time yesterday:

http://www.pbase.com/jzk/land_rover_lake_geneva_march_05&page=all

I am a novice at best. I have done some offroading in Colorado with my old Durango.

The LR3 takes some learning. I found myself in the wrong mode wondering what was happening a few times.

The conditions were snow, ice, and after a while, mud. There was a land rover guy there. He advised to start out trying the snow mode. This, ended up not being the best because it made it difficult to get up the hills. A Porsche cayenne guy had the same problem with his traction control. It seems that the snow mode and his traction control will endeavor to prevent wheel spin. But climbing these hills requires some wheel spin. What happened was I was almost up, and the LR3 would take away my throttle because all the wheels were spinning.

The Cayenne couldn't get up this hill 4 times in a row. Then he turned off the traction control and he was right up it.

The land rover guy told me to try normal mode, and that was better. I should have tried the mud/rut mode, but I didn't.

The biggest disappointment was my stock tires. Not that I am complaining, but they are really out of their element in that setting. Of course, Land Rover must sell tires that are suitable for everyone. My first upgrade is going to be a set of steel wheels with some real mud tires. Also, I don't need to mess up my 19" wheels either.

The hill decent control was AWESOME! That is a must have, if you ask me. There was this one place that took me three tries to climb. It was bumps and snow and ice. Before changing to normal mode, I couldn't make it up as the power just went away at the top.

So, I had to back down. A couple of times I touched the brakes getting nervous and I locked the wheels. Very bad, but I immediately let up and let the hill decent do its job in reverse. Fantastic! This Discovery couldn't get up the hill either at first, and he had to back down also. He locked up his wheels backing, and slid into the brush! He did exactly what I was afraid I would do!

Of course, I used the hill decent control all day in forward, and it really did a good job.

The second order of business is to get some kind of protection for the front. I think I like the brush bar better than the Aframe thing. Before the event, I took off those two plastic panes for our recovery points. I ended up using it right out of the box when I got stuck in the same big puddle that this RR did right before me.

But, going up some mud hills I bashed that bottom bumper rung into the mud a few times. And, I filled the spare tire with mud also! So, I think the LR3 would do better to have some beefy protection right down there that I could slide on the mud without worrying that I am ripping something off.

All in all, it was a ton of fun, and I learned quite a bit. I had that suspension failure where my rear suspension just sagged down to the bottom, and my heart sagged down with it. That and the system fault. But it all came back to life when I "rebooted" the vehicle.

By the way, there were some hummers there, and they were amazing.

T

tzucc

couple of comments:
- why didn't you raise the suspension to the max height before starting in the puddle et al?
- when did the suspension fail?
- I have been looking for better tire solutions as well for my HSE with the 19" wheels. Looks like the best we can do is get the 18" rims and put on Pirelli Scorpios. Better yet would be a nice 16" rim for the LR, but I don't know if those exist anywhere.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"why didn't you raise the suspension to the max height before starting in the puddle et al?"

Suspension was raised to max height for the entire time.

The suspension failed at the end, but raised itself back up when I re-raised it.

Could there be a 17" rim that fits the LR3?

T

tzucc

If a 17" rim exists, I can't seem to find it. 18" is the smallest diameter I have seen so far.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the event organized by Land Rover? I live just up the road from Lake Geneva and would love to give that a go. My kids would love it...looks like yours had a great time :)

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was organized by the Chicago Land Rover Club. Their schedule is on their web site. That was my first event. I am also planning on doing their Pipeline event in April.

As you saw from the pictures, there were lot's of non Land Rovers there as well. The Lake Geneva Raceway facility seemed big enough to handle all the cars as long as they split up into several groups. It was a little slow at first as like 15 people got stuck (snow and ice). But once people broke off into smaller groups, there was all the driving you could want and more. The afternoon was almost deserted.

Where do you live near Lake Geneva? I grew up going to Powers Lake (near twin lakes) and go there more than ever with the kids. I have flown my ultralight all over that area. (Powered parachute with green wing or american flag wing).

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Just up the road" was a bit overstated. I actually live closer to Madison. But I get down to Lake Geneva frequently and was just curious as to who was sponsoring the event. It's a beautiful part of the state with lots to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635