Offroad modes and terrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally use mud and ruts as well as the go to mode.

I’ve used rock crawl on slick rock and it tends to lock up the diffs nicely.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two speed. HSE version.

HSE is irrelevant (well it does add creature comforts) . It has the HD package?

I apologize for the question. I went through this last year with a local owner complaining about rock crawling performance in his 2015 and then I pointed out he has a single speed transfer case..

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HSE is irrelevant (well it does add creature comforts) . It has the HD package?

I apologize for the question. I went through this last year with a local owner complaining about rock crawling performance in his 2015 and then I pointed out he has a single speed transfer case..
No problem. Yes, I meant the HD package. Low range and locker are available and working.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then your complaint is valid! lol. Yeah I prefer manuals too as it just feels more direct. I think you really feel the LR4s mass too. Like a big fat lady coming down the stairs.

DrDan

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I took a training course from 7P in Moab. I have 2014 LR4 with the HD package and 32" tires, Cooper ST/MAXX.
The thing I learned and practiced with the ledges in the slickrock was not to attack head-on. Webb had me walk the obstacle and pick
a line and angle that got one wheel up first. I was usually in rock mode with transfer case in low (mountain) mode. Sometimes in S1 or S2,
sometimes in D. Easy and constant on the throttle and have the patience to let the car figure out what to do (let the lockers kick in).
I made it up many obstacles, including Wipeout Hill, without a problem, once I gained a good feel on the throttle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut