Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I price shop at the Jag & Rover dealers in town (and locally the Jag dealer has better pricing for the oil and the filter). I bought the Mityvac from Amazon (see my DIY oil change thread) and it is a piece of cake...

-B

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The older motors use bulk oil, but the new 5 liter motors do not... call any dealer and ask them.
I am a dealer and we pump bulk SLX Pro. Castrol # 55065. My distributor gets it in 55g and pumps it into our tank. Bottle was Castrol # 06333.
Other than the distibutor, I've never looked for it bottled. Yes, they charge us a small fortune, and I am not getting rich on this by any means.

I've been asked about other oils before, and I don't know the answer. I suppose a guy could pull the spec sheet for the stuff from Google, and try to match something up. Then again, if the oil interval is that far apart, the power production is that high, and replacement cost is so much, is it really worth it to save a few dollars?

No, the manufacturer can't force you to use anything, but if you use a product not meeting the specifications as stated in the manual and a failure occurs due to that use, the repair is not covered.

Be careful out there.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with davez26 on this; changing oil every 15k miles (or every 7500, as I do), is it really worth to save a few dollars once in a blue moon on a $60k truck and risk messing it up (to say nothing of the time it takes to DIY)?

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a dealer and we pump bulk SLX Pro. Castrol # 55065. My distributor gets it in 55g and pumps it into our tank. Bottle was Castrol # 06333.
Other than the distibutor, I've never looked for it bottled. Yes, they charge us a small fortune, and I am not getting rich on this by any means.

I've been asked about other oils before, and I don't know the answer. I suppose a guy could pull the spec sheet for the stuff from Google, and try to match something up. Then again, if the oil interval is that far apart, the power production is that high, and replacement cost is so much, is it really worth it to save a few dollars?

No, the manufacturer can't force you to use anything, but if you use a product not meeting the specifications as stated in the manual and a failure occurs due to that use, the repair is not covered.

Be careful out there.

I stand corrected... The last time I bought oil, my dealer said the bulk containers of SLX were still not available. It must have been longer ago than I thought. I remember when these motors first came out, LR and Jag must have been a little concerned... They had the mechanics measuring exacts amounts coming out, to check for possible consumption issues during those crazy long intervals. None of mine have used any oil, but I only go 5,000 mi. between changes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112