Oil in Intake Manifold - Smoke on Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately I’ve been noticing a bit of smoke on startup.

With a Reman engine & no history of overheating, I figured something else was the cause. Today I had some time, so I removed the intake plenum & inspected the throttle body.

It’s somewhat clean (cleaned it two months ago).

When I opened the butterfly, the source of the smoke wax immediately apparent: the intake manifold is covered in oil & it’s coming from the PCV hose.

Attachments

• E2C28620-33CD-475C-94EC-4A5C5EE0B056.jpeg
    E2C28620-33CD-475C-94EC-4A5C5EE0B056.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 72

Androomantoo

Reaction score
Replace your PCV diaphragms and see if that stops the smoking. Part number for the diaphragm is LR133579, you will need two of them. They are located on the right side (passenger side on LHD models) cam cover.

This video from Lost Cause Ranch may also be helpful.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately I’ve been noticing a bit of smoke on startup.

With a Reman engine & no history of overheating, I figured something else was the cause. Today I had some time, so I removed the intake plenum & inspected the throttle body.

It’s somewhat clean (cleaned it two months ago).

When I opened the butterfly, the source of the smoke wax immediately apparent: the intake manifold is covered in oil & it’s coming from the PCV hose.
Any specific color or smells to the smoke? Might give you a better indication of what to tackle based on the color and or smell. As someone had noted, condensation burn off on initial startup is normal on mine as well but clears up after a couple of minutes

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks exactly like the smoke in Last Cause ranch’s video and smells like heavy soot from a refinery.

It’s def oil. It’s pouring into my intake manifold.

I ordered the PCV valves this morning, should arrive tomorrow for install.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own oil catch can on both banks, but you really only need it on bank 1. Here's some pics of it. https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/diy-timing-chain.31050/post-216075

I don't really think the oil in the intake manifold would be enough to smoke up. Maybe it's just condensation built up in the exhaust that's causing the brief smoke.

I’ve toyed with the idea of a catch can system. Jag guys run them, so maybe that’s the route to go on these engines ‍♂️

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 7816DD94-4B1F-4365-8B62-14A0FBB4F66A.png
    7816DD94-4B1F-4365-8B62-14A0FBB4F66A.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 40

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Get a baffled closed system oil catch can with only 2 ports, in and out. Otherwise, your system will detect a leak. It's very sensitive to vacuum pressure readings.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to hop over the the Jag forums and see what they’re using. Same engine so I assume same CPU logic

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One cause for large amounts of oil smoke that has been reported here on the V8 engines is (somewhat surprisingly) a leaking vacuum pump (for the brake assist).

Apparently, the oil seal on the vacuum pump (front of the engine near the bottom) starts leaking oil into the pump chamber. The vacuum tube from the pump has a junction with another vacuum assist tube coming from the intake someplace (I don’t have the V8 engine). At idle, the engine vacuum seems to be enough to suck that oil into the intake where it pools up - maybe because the pump itself is failing (so little counter-vacuum pressure in the line), the engine vacuum just sucks oil straight up like a straw. In any event, the oil seems to pool in the intake, and when you hit the gas, all that oil is sucked down into the cylinders causing massive amounts of smoke. When I first heard of this, I couldn’t believe it was the vacuum pump when this was first reported, but at least two separate posters have had this problem and solved it by replacing the vacuum pump.

I know the PCVs leak oil as well, but I haven’t actually heard of a PCV leak causing large amounts of oil smoke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV