Oil level check when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Puig

Reaction score
Just fyi - 2016 LR4

open the hood

with keys in hand - push start button

Let all the lights settle down and push OK on left side of wheel until you get the menu

select the check oil level

boom - it should tell you - i guess its the hood being open

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need the hood to be open. This should work any time the car is in accessory mode (What happens when you push start button without holding the brake) and the car hasn't been running recently (in the last 15 min).

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DirtyHal is correct - hood doesn’t need to be open provided the engine has been off for at least 10 or 15 minutes. If the engine was just turned off, oil level won’t show (to avoid a false reading if the oil hasn’t drained back down into the pan, as I understand it).

But I seem to remember there’s another trick as well, where you can get the oil level on command even if the engine was just turned off. Requires hood to be up, then press the start button (no brake), get to the oil level screen, and hit the cancel button (CAN) on the cruise control twice.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was not 15 min after running - it was first thing in the morning. Ill post a vid...

same thing...no?

the point is that the computer will not display the oil level until at least 15 minutes after the engine was last ran. overnight (first thing in the morning) is more than 15 minutes. reason for this is the oil has to settle to the pan in order to give an accurate reading.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my LR4, it has to have been run, and then cool off a bit to get a reading. If I try to get a reading fully cold it will not work.

I'll give the hood trick a shot tonight.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive read mine first thing in the morning, after sitting for 12 hrs, when outside temps are in the 20s.

maybe not all LR4s are equal? another land rover quirk?

Michael Puig

Reaction score
OK - Sorry - the above last posting - (Ill remove it) not correct - Here is what works - after the car has been running

so this technique allows you to check immediately - no need to wait.... You have to have the hood up.

Just Great --- no idea why the video is distorted... you should get the idea though - if its too hard to watch Ill repost.... always something with land rovers...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM