Onboard Air(using LR3's existing compressor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second jak167's questions, including the actual convenience, but if this is frequent use I question the financial wisdom of potentially prematurely wearing out the relatively expensive LR vehicle parts rather than a cheaper dedicated carry-along unit.

Now, if only someone could make this set up "Nitronize" my tires . . .

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a cap for the coupling to prevent dirt from getting inside. I took it off for the pictures. You can attach the hose by kneeling next to the car and doing it by feel. I don't plan on using it more than a couple times a month at the most. For me, it will mainly be for airing up the spare if needed, but I will use it on the trail occasionally. If I start wheeling and airing down every weekend, I will likely build a CO2 unit to bring along.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is a great back up air option. I would be interested in running straight into a hose and running that to a place under the hood so I could just pop the hood and hook it up then I never have to worry about it getting crudded up over time with salt road grime and trail junk.

Trynian

Reaction score
I was actually thinking of using a male fitting so I could hook my portable viar comp to the tank and fill it enough to get the suspension up in case of a comp failure on the trail.

Then I put on RS sliders and no longer have access to the comp on the trail.

As far as using it to fill tires for anything other then emergency situations it will probably over heat the comp to much. Just a half dozen lifts from access to offroad in succession and things start to get to hot.

Last edited:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like I remember a previous thread saying that there is a difference in the kind of compressors used for the two functions - filling tires vs. the suspension system. One is a high volume/low pressure (I think that is the tire kind, like the Viair I have) and the other is a high pressure/low volume (I think that is the one in the LR3 for the suspension system).

Overheating and suspension faults were the main concern about doing this. But if it's just an occasional or backup option, I don't see a problem. Just don't go rock crawling with that thing sticking out like that unprotected. Seems likely to get broken off and cause a real problem leaving you out there with a deflated suspension. Wouldn't want to have to get off a trail in access mode for very long.
:driver:

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is very cool, I have seen it done to some P38's like mine, but I replaced my air suspension with springs. Hwoever I sitll have all of the air sus stuff on my range, I wonder if I could convert it all over to be used as an air compressor now.... Very interesting :)

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about some of the comments here and it seems to make more sense to remove the connector and replace it with the stock bolt when not needing the on board air for an emergency. It is really easy to swap in the connector I built when needed and this way, there is no risk of hitting it on a rock off road. I can just keep it in a cubby in the back with a cresent wrench. This way I always have a way to air up the spare and I can buy a more powerful portable or built-in compressor later if I start wheeling often with aired down tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635