Over HEATING issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 disco, body has 180k miles on it, motor milage is unknown... Things I have done to motor:
1: full valve job done on heads because of blown head gasket
2: all new top end gaskets, ex: intake, exhaust, valve cover
3: one new heater hose the one closest to the inside of plenum.
4: used t- case had to put another one in
5: transmission fluid and oil changed..
6: new thermostat
7: NEWmaster cylinder
The issue I'm haveing like today I drove on highway doing 65-75 mph and then iook up and the thermostat is getting hot , so jet off gas and the Guage goes back down to normal.. but as soon as I speed back up it read hot barely. Right below the red line... Now this happend today between 11am - 4or 5 .. as soon as it cooled down outside I was driving a steady 75-80 and she's staying at normal temp... Now it did go up a little from half but not that much...
NEED HELP AND IDEAS... PLEASE ASK ME ANYTHING...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Bad fan clutch or need a new radiator... or maybe both?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a plugged up radiator, a bad viscus clutch and your electric fans may not be working.
If you want help with this, PM me your number and I'll walk you thru testing.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both electric fans are working. By the way I even drove with the heater on and it was still gettin.g hot as well..
Is their a way to check the vicissitudes clutch ?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but in the mean time quit driving it cause every time that temp gauge climbs, it is costing you more to fix it.
As for the clutch, spin the fan, prior to a cold start, a couple of times then with the engine hot, spin it a couple more times. It should be twice as hard to spin when hot compared to when cold.
Also, do you have a scanner so you read the actual running temps?

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well goong to replace fan clutch, it spins like crazy after being hot.. hopefully that's it. Will update and let know

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch fan should spin like it has a friction brake on it. If you spin it the fan should stop rotating instantly as soon as you release it if it is in good working order.

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it fits put it on and test your temp it should cool instantly if that is the problem, like Mike said you may need a radiator as well the two work hand in hand.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well understandable.. more than likely just hoping not cause their not cheap , but will let u know guys. Part comes in Tuesday

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635