Overheating Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Sunbeam

SO in the hell that is my life here in sunny Southern California. Actually my life isn't hell but it's just as hot and yesterday when I drove to work it was almost 100 degrees and of course I had the A/C on high. I parked my car after my 40 minute commute and drive up the long dirt road to the ranch where I'm working and when I parked my Disco in a small patch of shade and it proceeded to boil over via the expansion tank cap. Spewing stemm and coolant.

After it had a chance to cool down I pened the radiator cap and saw that it was half empty.

I topped it off ran the engeine till the thermostat cyled and turned on the heat to make sure there was coolant everywhere there was supposed to be and drove it home.

Today I drove it back to work and while it was cooler and it did not over heat the top radiator hose was kind of girgling. Nothing awful just some bubling sound coming from the tube up out of the thermostat housing.

I wanted to make sure the thermostat wasn't faulty so I repaced it with what I was told was a OEM spec 190 degree unit.

Funny thing is that while it hasn't over heated it still makes the bubbling sound.

The truck was also tough to start when hot before all of this and continues after the thermosat was replaced.

Engine fan seems to be working OK

Temp needle never got above 1/3

Any thoughts??

Please don't say blown head gasket. Oil seams fine and there is no aroma of coolant at the exhaust.

Thanks

Eric

95 Disco 173K miles

D

disco1

After you change out the thermostat, you probably didn't bleed the air out of the system. With air trapped in the system, your engine will continue to overheat.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Disco1... air in the coolant system.

62Sunbeam

Do i bead it from the small cap on the top of the radiator?

Thanks
Guys

Eric
troublesome 95 Disco 173K miles

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Yup air bubble in the system. Run the Rover with the heat on full blast..Cap off of the Expansion Tank for awhile. That should remove any air bubbles.

62Sunbeam

I got all the air bubbles out a week ago and I een got the electric fans to work but still it over heats.
Yesterday it did so rather badly although the watewr level didn't get more than a few inches down in the radiator. I tried adding Water Wetter to the coolant wich is mostly water at this time.

The interior of the radiator (at least what I can see) seem clean and brassy. I wounder if I need to have the radiator rodded out.

Has anyone done this and if so how much did it cost and can anyone recommend a radiator shop in LA?

By the way the temp gauge never gets above 2/5ths and I checked the gauge and it pegs when the lead to the sensor is grounded. Do the sensors loose their ability to send a accurate signal. I know they fail but is this a common problem???

Thanks

Eric

95 Disco 174K miles

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With 175k on the Rover if you haven't had any work done to the radiator, just bite the bullet and buy a new one.... you will be better off... also check to make sure the water pump is working.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
joey said:
With 175k on the Rover if you haven't had any work done to the radiator, just bite the bullet and buy a new one.... you will be better off... also check to make sure the water pump is working.

Check with
http://www.btlrovers.com/

Last I heard PT had a CHEAP OE Radiator Replacement. Or look around. I know I saw one 4 sale on DWeb.

D

disco1

62Sunbeam said:
By the way the temp gauge never gets above 2/5ths and I checked the gauge and it pegs when the lead to the sensor is grounded. Do the sensors loose their ability to send a accurate signal. I know they fail but is this a common problem???

Considering that the 'air bleeding' suggestion did not work, then it's quite likely that the radiator is clogged, and it's not uncommon for the temp gauge to sit on normal when in fact you are overheating. Joey's suggestion is good advice, as the money you will spend trying to find the problem will be better spent toward a new radiator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72