Parking brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aah78

brake click

didn't want to start a new thread so just posted here.

just noticed this a few days ago -
if i press the foot-brake while the LR3 is in Neutral, a clicking sound is heard, which seems to be coming from the center console - regardless of whether the parking brake is engaged or not.

i don't think this is a problem, as everything is working as it should, but just wanted to confirm.

thanks,
ad

N

NHESS81

The rolling back---I have noticed on every single car or truck I have ever used. I would not be concerned about it at all.

The sound the truck makes when rolling back, that also is just the transmission/parking brake fully engaging and stopping.

I would, if on a really steep hill, stop the truck with the foot brake, shift to Park and then apply the handbrake and let go of the foot brake, it seems like you are putting undue stress on both the transmission and parking brake by making the parking brake the ONLY thing holding the truck, I would venture to say that solid chunks of metal (transmission) are more durable than the lame parking brake apparatus.

I have never used a vehicle, nor heard of the need to shift to Neutral and then to Park. This seems like one of those 'rumours' that you should shift to neutral when at a long stop (red light, fast food line...). I think that older transmissions (i.e. first automatic transmissions) had more issues, and you didnt want them sitting there 'out of gear' but these days, it does not matter.

To each their own...

S

schafari

By law the parking brake must hold the truck and stop it. I have the same driveway as AMir it would seam. It is about a 20 degree angle. If I simply put it in park, and then put the parking brake on, the parking brake does nothing. All the weight of the truck is on the parking pawl in the transmission.

Rather, do exaclty as Amir describes. This puts the weight of the truck on the parking brake, and no weight on the transmission. I gaurantee this is better. Want to know why? Because if I don't do this, and put the weight on the transmission, when I take it out of gear the next moring, everyone of my cars makes a gawd awful metal to metal cracking sound as the weight is pulled off the pawl, and transfered to the foot brake. Drive line slop, thank you.

N

NHESS81

Interesting........well....I belive that this should be taught to others than...because honestly, this is the FIRST time in my 21 years of life that I have ever heard of this procedure....I dont have the tranmission grinding that you describe, but damn, if EVERYONE else knows of this, I might as well be a sheep and follow the AMIR method...lol, yes, I am naming it after him...how about "The AMIR Way To Park Your Land Rover, With Consultation From Schafari"? Sounds good to me!

S

schafari

Ah, it isn't really a procedure or something that is described in the manual or anything. It is simply the way some people park their cars on hills. Just like the different ways people drive, or pass, or hold there feet on the pedals, or not. . .

If you park your cars on a steep incline and simply put them in park, I'll bet you find they roll back a bit on the parking pawl. That is what stops your car truck. Sometimes, it even binds a bit on the auto trans shift level and is harder to get out of park. Interesting that none of your cars have even done this. I live on a hill and every single one of my cars does. VWs, Audis, Hondas, Alfa Romeos, Land Rovers, Mitsubishis, etc.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the car is in park the transmission is locked via a shaft .... there is zero stress to worry about here.....

Put the car in park, apply the brake too if you want.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, they just put parking brakes in cars to raise the cost.
(sarc.)
I am no transmission scientist, but I definitely want the stress to be on the brake rather than the thousands of tiny gears and teeth that reside in a transmission. I need nothing more than to hear the clunk from a stressed transmission when shifting out of park (on a steep incline) to know it isn't good for it. Steve C, how can you say zero stress? Something is keeping your rover from rolling down the hill right? Even if it is a rock under your tire, then there is stress on the rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no transmission scientist, but I definitely want the stress to be on the brake rather than the thousands of tiny gears and teeth that reside in a transmission
No, you have no understanding as to how an automatic transmission works. Again, there is a pin that slides in to lock the transmission -- not thousands of tiny gears. The movement associated before the pin can lock into place is the cause for ocassional movement when putting a car into park.

Not using park would be akin to putting a brick behind your front door because you don't want to "stress the lock."

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so when you put the car in drive and you hear a loud "clunk" when the locking pin gets pulled out (this is the pin that has the STRESS of 5400 lbs of car trying to roll down a hill) - then this is GOOD for it? I thank you for clearing that up, because it sounded bad for it for a second.
Also, nobody is saying to leave the car in neutral. You put the car in neutral, apply the brake and then put it back in park. This puts the stress on the brake rather than the pin. I stated originally in the thread that technically it would be better to do this way. Of course it's only better for the trans. The parking brake probably hates it when you do it this way :)

p.s. your analogy isn't very good as their is no stress on a lock.

H

Houm_WA

I actually think this is how it ought to be done:

1. Place your foot on the brake, and KEEP IT THERE.
2. Put the Transmission in Park, and KEEP THE FOOTBRAKE DEPRESSED.
3. Apply the parking brake.
4. Remove your foot from the footbrake pedal.

Done. Wow ! Where did you guys learn to drive ?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer