Parking brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve-o,
When you say you are an engineer, does that mean you actually drive the trains, or do you just get to blow the horn? :)

H

Houm_WA

Of course in this case we're talking about shear stress and not bending and/or tensile loading, so your analogy is not exactly concrete. Furthermore, since the parking pawl WAS DESIGNED TO BE LOADED IN SHEAR I would hope that the engineers who designed it sized it accordingly.

...you guys are thinking about it way too much; just drive your car, park your car (however you want) and be happy. ...be extra happy if no fault lights are on !!

S

schafari

Some may not be listening. The concern is not with the steel parking pawl, The stress is on other parts that are responsible for moving the pawl. Once the pawl is weighted up while parked on a large hill, it takes much more force to move it. The stess is then on the shifter, shifter cable, etc. Now since you took this to geekdom, if I need to move the shifter and it pulls/pushs a cable and lever. . . correct me if I am wrong but isn't that tensile. . .

H

Houm_WA

if something is being "pulled" then yes it's tensile. If there is a "lever" involved, then it's bending. ...of course the "loading and unloading" you referred to earlier is going to have much more effect on the durability of the part and not the ultimate strength...but none of that really matters. I think you guys are all just worrying about it way too much.

...but of course this is an internet forum in America, free speech...freedom of choice, all that good stuff. You guys can feel free to elaborate on parking methodology all you want and others can choose not to read it, right?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, what do you mean worrying way too much? Just think of the thousands of transmissions this thread has reduced the stress on...hee hee
Actually I agree it pretty much was a non-issue til some clown came and stated what seems to be a complete falsehood backed up by nothing.
Now what should we argue about, how repeatedly flashing your high beams wears out the bulb prematurely? (which it - of course- does)

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As [size=-1] William Shakespeare[/size] wrote " Much ado about nothing" :hmpf: nuff said , and time to put this horse out of it's misery :rolleyes:

Cheers
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak