PD1880 with BGF A/T 265/65R18 vs Cooper zeon LTZ 255/55/R19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update

This is odd, as my last email with Barry in Compo sales was yesterday and he said the following:

David,

Just noticed that the bank account details that are typed onto the invoice are not correct,,, sorry about that.

The numbers that I gave you in the e mail text are correct as -

Racing Gear LTD
IBAN NO. GB68 ABBY0901 2741 546730
Bic code – ABBYGB2LXXX
Account number 41546730
Sort code 090127

Barry Dixon

I'm bummed. Let's see what he emails me back, as he's been very responsive. Maybe they are selling off their stock? He did tell me early on that they would only be selling wheels in stock.

I did receive response from Barry to my email I sent yesterday. He just said they have Anthracite gray in stock and ready to ship. $1,950 for 5 wheels with shipping. ( US taxes extra). I am going to email him back with some questions regarding his company status and details regarding payment options.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, everyone... So I got a response from Barry as follows:

David,

No problem to ask any questions that you feel that you need too.

Yes the factory that produced the wheels for us – Components Automotives 73 ltd – has stopped trading.

The Brand Compomotive is a separate business and not affected... but the world of the internet has a life of its own so does not often get its facts right.

You will maybe see that the invoice that I sent you was from Racing Gear ltd – offering some Compomotive wheels for your LR4.

The business is still trading – but just with a different name.

If you want to wait a while before ordering then no problem as I do understand that we are in a different country... also the paypal option gives you the peace of mind as they can withdraw the funds if you had a problem with your purchase.

Regards Barry
Barry Dixon

Compomotive International ltd
England

I think I will go forward via PayPal (even though it's slightly more), as that offers some protection and it seems as though this is legitimate.

What do others think?

-David

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, everyone... So I got a response from Barry as follows:

I think I will go forward via PayPal (even though it's slightly more), as that offers some protection and it seems as though this is legitimate.

What do others think?

-David

Hi Finlayforprez

Do you know how much more is PayPal option and how much are US custom taxes ( for 5 wheels)
It looks like they will be shipping 10 rims to the USA. :smile: :smile::smile:
What tires are you planning to put on your compos once you get them.?
I am in Phoenix, AZ so there is no much mud to worry about. I really worry about sidewalls strength so it looks like I will go with BFG AT K/O.
The PD1880 are "contagious". I was thinking about those wheels in the past, but last Saturday trip to the desert was a turning point. There was one LR4 with PD1880 and BFG 265/65R18. This set up not only works very well but also looks nice at the same time. I am sold on it. Now lets see how smooth ordering of the wheels will be.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the factory no longer manufactures the wheels, what is Racing Gear Ltd selling, stock leftovers? My understanding is that most finishes of PD1880 were made to order. Perhaps some key Compomotive personnel saw the writing on the wall months ago and made a bunch of wheels before the bean counters shut them down. The wheels I bought in February were definitely billed and shipped to me by Compomotive Automotives 73 Ltd. Never heard of Racing Gear Ltd or Compomotive International Ltd - until today.

Tough call David, but Barry was always a class act in my dealings with them - even after the sale when I had an issue with the hubcaps falling off.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for it. The people haven't changed and they took great care of me.

I also got mine recently and it was before this change, but I think I would still go after them. They really are great quality. The project is pricey, but unlike many things I throw money at, this didnt feel like a ripoff. If they were a land rover accessory they would have cost $10k.

psc

Reaction score
Both Companies have been around for a while

Name & Registered Office:
RACING GEAR LIMITED
29 WATERLOO ROAD
WOLVERHAMPTON
WEST MIDLANDS
WV1 4DJ
Company No. 03640110

Date of Incorporation: 29/09/1998

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC): 45320 - Retail trade of motor vehicle parts and accessories

Accounting Reference Date: 31/03
Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/03/2013 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)
Next Accounts Due: 31/12/2014
Last Return Made Up To: 29/09/2012
Next Return Due: 27/10/2013

And

Name & Registered Office:
COMPOMOTIVE INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
4-6 WULFRUN TRADING ESTATE
STAFFORD ROAD
WOLVERHAMPTON
WV10 6HG
Company No. 01536669

Date of Incorporation: 30/12/1980

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC):
30990 - Manufacture of other transport equipment not elsewhere classified

Accounting Reference Date: 31/12
Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2012 (DORMANT)
Next Accounts Due: 30/09/2014
Last Return Made Up To: 23/02/2013
Next Return Due: 23/03/2014

Mortgage: Number of charges: 1 ( 0 outstanding / 1 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )
Last Members List: 23/02/2013

Previous Names:

Date of change

Previous Name

10/04/1985

COMPONENTS AUTOMOTIVES (METAL SPINNING) LIMITED

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Finlayforprez

Do you know how much more is PayPal option and how much are US custom taxes ( for 5 wheels)
I am in Phoenix, AZ so there is no much mud to worry about. I really worry about sidewalls strength so it looks like I will go with BFG AT K/O.
The PD1880 are "contagious". I was thinking about those wheels in the past, but last Saturday trip to the desert was a turning point. There was one LR4 with PD1880 and BFG 265/65R18. This set up not only works very well but also looks nice at the same time. I am sold on it. Now lets see how smooth ordering of the wheels will be.
Hi TLB,

The price via bank transfer was $1950USD for five (5) satin black wheels (this included shipping). The price via PayPal is $2028USD because they have to add a 4% fee.

As far as tires, I am likely going with the set that mbw has done - look back at those threads for more information. I have the 19" wheels now with Cooper Zeon LTZs, but I want more sidewall protection because I am planning to drive my LR4 to our place in southern UT/northern AZ - plus around the Sierras.

I did e-mail Barry to let him know other people who be e-mailing him about ordering the wheels, plus I wanted a little more information about how they have stock (based on Umberto's comment above).

Keep me posted! When are you going to send the payment? I am likely going to do it this weekend or early next week.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the factory no longer manufactures the wheels, what is Racing Gear Ltd selling, stock leftovers? My understanding is that most finishes of PD1880 were made to order. Perhaps some key Compomotive personnel saw the writing on the wall months ago and made a bunch of wheels before the bean counters shut them down. The wheels I bought in February were definitely billed and shipped to me by Compomotive Automotives 73 Ltd. Never heard of Racing Gear Ltd or Compomotive International Ltd - until today.

Tough call David, but Barry was always a class act in my dealings with them - even after the sale when I had an issue with the hubcaps falling off.
I sent Barry an e-mail asking him to clarify more about their stock. Since previous wheels were made to order, I asked him if they made a bunch previously and now have stock, etc.

I will let you all know what I find out. I am much more comfortable, especially with PayPal, and so far it's all been very positive. Very good customer service!

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Finlayforprez

TLB- I have the BFG All-Terrain T/A's. Highly recommended. The sidewall is incredibly strong and the tread pattern seems well-versed in various off-road situations (mud, sharp rocks, sand, steep climbs/descents, etc.). Just a fair warning that they may be slightly louder on the road than the Wrangler tires that mbw has on his LR4. I personally don't notice the noise, but someone else might.

Attachments

• IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM