PD1880 with BGF A/T 265/65R18 vs Cooper zeon LTZ 255/55/R19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to hear some feedback from those of you who run 18" compomotives wheels with 265/65/18 or 285/60/18 and those who chose to stay with OE 19" wheels with
Cooper Zeon LTz.
I had 255/55R19 coopers LTZ on my previous LR4 but did not have a chance to test them off road since my track was
totalled few weeks after I put coopers on it. ( Maybe I should start a new tread about my totalled LR4 and how it saved my family?)

Those of you who went with 19" copper zeon LTZ how was your off road experiance with these tires?
Do you still wish you went with 18" wheels and had toller sidewalls? Any punctures of sidewalls when offroading?

I am asking because on my last trip to the desert (I am In AZ) LR4 with stock contis cut the sidewall when climbing a hill.
I was running crappy stock tires too but was lucky this time. We both were recommended to air down stock tires to 30PSI
How much stronger are 255/55R19 cooper's sidewalls.

I really love idea of PD1880 with BFG A/T 265/65R18 but have few concerns regarding this set up.
( I am not interested in lifting my track,,, at leat not at this time)

1. any need to reroute rear AC lines which are behind a plastic cover in the wheel well
2. any need to reposition hight sensor cable which is on the side of the frame ( front left )
3.How is the fitment of the full size spare tire , on the car which came with HD package. Will I be able to fit an inflated tire or it has to be deflated?

Then how to disable TMPS warning for the spare tire

4 Do you air down and how low can you go with with PSI on 265/65R18
would you air down 255/55 R19 cooper zeon LTZ or just stay with on road pressure ( F-36PSI , R-42PSi) how strong is a sidewall on 19" Zeon LTZs
5.Access mode - can you drive, turn sharply when car is in an access mode
6.I believe 265/65R18 BFG A/T will be 31.5" how big is descrepancy on the speedometer, can it be calibrated for a new set up.

It would be much ea$ier to buy 5 new tires only ( cooper zeon LTZ for stock rims) instead of ordering new wheels from England.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Zeons on stock rims, 2012, and have been offroad at the Land Rover driving school in NC, they performed superbly. A significant improvement to the Contis that other LRR4 had that day.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running Compos with 265/65/18 Wranglers.... answers inline.

1. any need to reroute rear AC lines which are behind a plastic cover in the wheel well

No, not even at access height and messing around on curbs. i didnt modify the plastic wheel well at all.

2. any need to reposition hight sensor cable which is on the side of the frame ( front left )

Again, no, but you can do it if you feel like it. I dont see how it could rub.

3.How is the fitment of the full size spare tire , on the car which came with HD package. Will I be able to fit an inflated tire or it has to be deflated?

I deflated a little bit to fit the spare, but my spare tpms has not ever gone off. I took the heat shield off. More details in my big thread about this project. http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24571&page=6

Then how to disable TMPS warning for the spare tire

4 Do you air down and how low can you go with with PSI on 265/65R18
would you air down 255/55 R19 cooper zeon LTZ or just stay with on road pressure ( F-36PSI , R-42PSi) how strong is a sidewall on 19" Zeon LTZs

I think 30 PSI would be ok. Honestly I haven't aired down yet, but ive only been doing dirt/rock type stuff so far. If I were in sand I would try a lower pressure.

5.Access mode - can you drive, turn sharply when car is in an access mode
6.I believe 265/65R18 BFG A/T will be 31.5" how big is descrepancy on the speedometer, can it be calibrated for a new set up.

I didn't change my speedo at all, but its ~5% off. I haven't really used it in access mode a lot, so I should double check at full lock, but when i have used it in access and turned I haven't had an issue. I think even if you do rub a little its not going to be enough to cause issues. I will try and re-test this and get back.

It would be much ea$ier to buy 5 new tires only ( cooper zeon LTZ for stock rims) instead of ordering new wheels from England.

Yes, but....

DSC_5520_zps9b17d546.jpg

DSC_5521_zps32620930.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 255/55R19 Cooper Zeon LTZs and really find them great off road. I've had them for the past couple years (on my previous 2011 and now my 2013) and very happy with them - never let me down. With that said, they definitely do not offer the side wall protection available with the 18" wheel tire options.

I think your choice depends on the terrain you expect to encounter and what you want to do on the trails. For what I do, the Coopers are fine, but I plan to head to the Sierras, drive to Utah, and do Death Valley - and in these locations the rocks are very sharp in some areas. We spend a lot of time in Southern UT/Northern AZ border in Centennial Park and have a Tahoe there with crazy tires because the dirt roads in the desert slice through tires. Thus, I am hoping to get the Compomotives in the near future and go with the same set up as mbw posted above mostly for the sidewall protection and a bit more capability. Plus, I really like the look of the Compomotives.

I do not want to run my truck higher than stock and do not want any rubbing - plus I want to be able to store my full-sized tire (or I might go the roof option since I have so much crap up there now). So, I think mbw's options above are great.

I hope this helps. You will find a lot of great resources about wheels/tires on this forum, as lots of guys have gone the Compomotive route, while others get the Coopers.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well, this may be a moot point now. :help: Compomotive just went belly up.

Compomotive Wheels goes into administration

Motorsport manufacturer shuts down
Last updated: 18th Sep 2013 at 08:10am
Eddie Devlin By Edward Devlin, Midlands Correspondent

A Wolverhampton-based manufacturer of competition wheels for motorsport teams across the world has collapsed into administration.

Compomotive Motorsport Wheels has ceased trading following a sustained period of falling turnover.

Matthew Ingram and John Whitfield of financial advisory firm Duff & Phelps were appointed as joint administrators of Components Automotive 73 Ltd on 10 September 2013. The pair took the decision to cease trading the business. All 24 employees had been made redundant prior to the appointment of Duff & Phelps.

Before its closure, the company had been in operation since 1973 and made a range of competition wheels for motorsport teams and also classic and special order bespoke wheels. The company generated a turnover of about £1.5m. Compomotive said on its website that its wheels had contributed to drivers and teams winning more than 300 championships in recent years, including in the World Rally Championship.

Matthew Ingram of Duff & Phelps said: "Despite its strong brand reputation the business has been suffering from declining turnover for a sustained period, largely due to cheaper imports and a subdued trading environment. This has ultimately resulted in its closure and the unfortunate loss of 24 jobs in the local economy."

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh crap! I am just days away from ordering the wheels. I have been emailing Barry at MotorSports in the UK and he has 5 satin black wheels in stock. Do you think this is a bad idea since the company is going under?

Well, I wouldn't send them money right now personally. They are already under and you may never see those wheels. What usually happens is someone else purchases their assets and resumes operations, witness companies like Overfinch, which go bankrupt every few years and then miraculously resurrect from the ashes. But until then... This sucks.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't send them money right now personally. They are already under and you may never see those wheels. What usually happens is someone else purchases their assets and resumes operations, witness companies like Overfinch, which go bankrupt every few years and then miraculously resurrect from the ashes. But until then... This sucks.
This sucks! I just looked and he is from Comp sales, but hasn't said anything about the company going under. He sent me a PDF invoice and told me the wheels are in stock and can be shipped immediately after payment is received.

I agree, I'm really not comfortable sending $1,950 USD and possibly not getting the wheels.

I did email him just now and asked about the company going under and what it means for this potential sale. I'll let you guys know what I hear.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if you even got an answer, since apparently everybody has been laid off. Tough times, poor workers and their families.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM