PD1880 with BGF A/T 265/65R18 vs Cooper zeon LTZ 255/55/R19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sucks! I just looked and he is from Comp sales, but hasn't said anything about the company going under. He sent me a PDF invoice and told me the wheels are in stock and can be shipped immediately after payment is received.

I agree, I'm really not comfortable sending $1,950 USD and possibly not getting the wheels.

I did email him just now and asked about the company going under and what it means for this potential sale. I'll let you guys know what I hear.

This site has quite a few options:
http://www.performancealloys.com

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if you even got an answer, since apparently everybody has been laid off. Tough times, poor workers and their families.
This is odd, as my last email with Barry in Compo sales was yesterday and he said the following:

David,

Just noticed that the bank account details that are typed onto the invoice are not correct,,, sorry about that.

The numbers that I gave you in the e mail text are correct as -

Racing Gear LTD
IBAN NO. GB68 ABBY0901 2741 546730
Bic code – ABBYGB2LXXX
Account number 41546730
Sort code 090127

Barry Dixon

I'm bummed. Let's see what he emails me back, as he's been very responsive. Maybe they are selling off their stock? He did tell me early on that they would only be selling wheels in stock.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is odd, as my last email with Barry in Compo sales was yesterday and he said the following:

David,

Just noticed that the bank account details that are typed onto the invoice are not correct,,, sorry about that.

The numbers that I gave you in the e mail text are correct as -

Racing Gear LTD
IBAN NO. GB68 ABBY0901 2741 546730
Bic code – ABBYGB2LXXX
Account number 41546730
Sort code 090127

Barry Dixon

I'm bummed. Let's see what he emails me back, as he's been very responsive. Maybe they are selling off their stock? He did tell me early on that they would only be selling wheels in stock.

It seems that they may start doing business under a different name...

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Umberto
It is good to know not to send them any $$$ now.
I sent an email to compomotive today not knowing they are going out of business. Will see if I will get any response.
It looks like I will be getting 19" coopers and maybe some more underbody protection.
( already installed T44 rock sliders)
Unless something will change...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid for my set via PayPal, so I never got their banking info for a wire xfer... Be careful David, regardless of what Barry says.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid for my set via PayPal, so I never got their banking info for a wire xfer... Be careful David, regardless of what Barry says.
Definitely! I'm not sending any money until I know what's going on - even then, not sure I will at all.

I'll let everyone knows what he responds so I can get your opinions.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gordon of Green Oval Experience (an Australian vendor very close to Compomotive UK, I was in touch with him many times before and after my purchase) posted this on an Australian forum regarding the Compomotive bankruptcy news:

Busy time, but we've been working with some of the key personnel in the UK to ensure that the 18" rims will still be available - the name may change, but the rims will be the same.

Cheers,

Gordon

Read what you want into it, but I bet Barry is well involved in this transaction. You may want to wait a little for the smoke to clear, but my guess is that it won't be long before the PD1880s are offered again - probably by a different manufacturer. Gordon has got quite a reputation down under, so he knows what he's talking about. He was also instrumental in modifying the PD1880s for RRS and LR4, based on a design that Compomotive had originally developed for the Bowler Nemesis rally car. That's why their wheels are so strong and well made. I wouldn't trust a Chinese alloy on these heavy beasts off road, even if they fit.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gordon of Green Oval Experience (an Australian vendor very close to Compomotive UK, I was in touch with him many times before and after my purchase) posted this on an Australian forum regarding the Compomotive bankruptcy news:

Read what you want into it, but I bet Barry is well involved in this transaction. You may want to wait a little for the smoke to clear, but my guess is that it won't be long before the PD1880s are offered again - probably by a different manufacturer. Gordon has got quite a reputation down under, so he knows what he's talking about.
Awesome - thanks!

Makes me feel a little better. I'll see what Barry says and then likely wait a bit and decide.

If I go for it, maybe PayPal is more protected than a bank transfer?

Just in case.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! This looks aggressive yet still maintains luxury. I like your setup.

Running Compos with 265/65/18 Wranglers.... answers inline.

1. any need to reroute rear AC lines which are behind a plastic cover in the wheel well

No, not even at access height and messing around on curbs. i didnt modify the plastic wheel well at all.

2. any need to reposition hight sensor cable which is on the side of the frame ( front left )

Again, no, but you can do it if you feel like it. I dont see how it could rub.

3.How is the fitment of the full size spare tire , on the car which came with HD package. Will I be able to fit an inflated tire or it has to be deflated?

I deflated a little bit to fit the spare, but my spare tpms has not ever gone off. I took the heat shield off. More details in my big thread about this project. http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24571&page=6

Then how to disable TMPS warning for the spare tire

4 Do you air down and how low can you go with with PSI on 265/65R18
would you air down 255/55 R19 cooper zeon LTZ or just stay with on road pressure ( F-36PSI , R-42PSi) how strong is a sidewall on 19" Zeon LTZs

I think 30 PSI would be ok. Honestly I haven't aired down yet, but ive only been doing dirt/rock type stuff so far. If I were in sand I would try a lower pressure.

5.Access mode - can you drive, turn sharply when car is in an access mode
6.I believe 265/65R18 BFG A/T will be 31.5" how big is descrepancy on the speedometer, can it be calibrated for a new set up.

I didn't change my speedo at all, but its ~5% off. I haven't really used it in access mode a lot, so I should double check at full lock, but when i have used it in access and turned I haven't had an issue. I think even if you do rub a little its not going to be enough to cause issues. I will try and re-test this and get back.

It would be much ea to buy 5 new tires only ( cooper zeon LTZ for stock rims) instead of ordering new wheels from England.

Yes, but....

DSC_5520_zps9b17d546.jpg

DSC_5521_zps32620930.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo