Perfomance on the BEAST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roughtx

Reaction score
I just read a thread from the Disco section, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to get more performance from a RRC. They are BEASTS! I have tried a new exhaust and a K&N Air, but it doesn't seem to make much difference in performance. . .

It might be a hopeless cause.

R

roverguy10

Well, you could always rebuild the engire from the ground up and take the time to shave down the heads a bit (there isn't much room, so be careful), and polish the ram air tubes, etc., and do some other misc performace things, but for the costs involved, I would reccomed dropping a larger engine in. I have an '89 Classic, and those originally came with 3.9 L engines. I am now running a 4.2 L Rangie engine. If you are looking at the cost involved, I wouldn't reccomend anything larger that a 4.0 ( I had to do extensive mods to my drive train, but I do all of my own work).
I know someone who supercharged his, but that was a lot of work, and it kept failing him when he took it wheeling, but it looked really cool and gave him a lot more power without sacrificing gas milage much- a big plus in these vehicles.
I hope this gives you an idea of what you can do!

Jeremy

M

ModRover

Power

Well, they all use the same block pattern, more or less. There are changes in things that do separate one model to another, but the facts are still the same. What I said applies to RR, Disco, and Def. rigs. I think the upgrades tend to make them smoother and more reliable. The cubic inch upgrade is something you will feel!

Regards,
Michael
'65 IIA Special

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger is better / chips help alot

Roughtx, i'm from the Disco side but i have a 95 D1 with 5-speed, 4.6 litre, RPI cam, RPI Tornado chip and Borla exhaust. From a 3.9 to this package is a big WOW. This is what Rover should of built years ago, this would of sold many times over. Alot less shifting let er pull, "rolling stops" 2nd gear, can skip gears, 1-3-5, 2-4-5. What were they thinking, 4,500# 3.9 litre? They really need a RPI 5.0 litre engine in traffic in the US. Carl...........o&o>...............

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90