PlastiDipped Wheels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I thought I'd start a new thread since I PlastiDipped my wheels to see what they would look like in flat (matte) black. I have been thinking about doing this for a while and the PlastiDip allows me to try it out for about $20.00. I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos before trying it, and I have to say, it was VERY easy and pretty darn amazing. I am not the best spray painter, but it came out really nice. I know a guy with a Jeep who has had his wheels PlastiDipped for a year, washes them weekly, and just removed it and the wheels look BRAND NEW!

I can give more details if you want and will update this thread on the durability of the PlastiDipped wheels off-road (going next weekend), washing them, etc. I plan to leave it on for a while and see if I really want to go the painting/powder coating route. One thing I might change is the silver side vents - I think they would look great in black!

Hit me up with any questions....

Here are some pictures (Note: the third picture down looks like there are specs on the rim, but that's the lighting... no flaws):

Side1.jpg

side2.jpg

wheel1.jpg

photo.jpg

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks fantastic! more info!!! did you do the lug nuts too?

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good... We need to chip in and get you a better camera :)

I am interested to hear how they hold up to power washer/ touch free car wash use.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks fantastic! more info!!! did you do the lug nuts too?
Hey LR4TQ,

I just covered the brakes/calipers and sprayed away! :) After it was dry I peeled the excess off the tires and off of the green Land Rover emblem.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good... We need to chip in and get you a better camera :)

I am interested to hear how they hold up to power washer/ touch free car wash use.
Hey PALR4,

You are telling me - I never take pictures and just use my iPhone. I am very low tech and really should get a better camera. My off-roading videos are a total joke, I am too embarassed to even post them - hahaha! :)

I never really use a touch-less car wash, but usually do it myself and use a power washer - so I am curious how that will come out! :) I am likely going off-roading on Saturday, so I will keep everyone posted how they hold up to that and then the cleaning afterward.

I really love the black look, so if they don't hold up, at least I confirmed that I want black wheels.

-David

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I would've never thought I would like black wheels. I ALWAYS prefer stock, but this looks incredible. I think it's the combination of the matte finish and stock design that I like.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
This is one of my more off-the-wall free associations: Think back to the Six Million Dollar Man. Remember all those many slow motion shots of stunt guys doubling Steve Austin jumping over a wall or off a wall or tumbling over something? And how Steve Austin wore hard soled shoes most of the time, but the stunt double very obviously wore black athletic shoes like a coach or referee would wear?

David, you have the Steve Austin stunt double of LR4s. :smile:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of my more off-the-wall free associations: Think back to the Six Million Dollar Man. Remember all those many slow motion shots of stunt guys doubling Steve Austin jumping over a wall or off a wall or tumbling over something? And how Steve Austin wore hard soled shoes most of the time, but the stunt double very obviously wore black athletic shoes like a coach or referee would wear?

David, you have the Steve Austin stunt double of LR4s. :smile:
Hahahaha! I have no idea about that reference (I am way too young - ha ha ha), but my LR4 is definitely wearing black sneakers - at least till I peel it off. LOL!

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. Prez,

The wheels look good; please send out pictures if you do the silver trim in black (plastic air intake grills and plastic front grill). I am curious how the whole truck would look with Black trim rather than silver. I actually think gunmetal would be a nice alternative: tougher than the shiny silver but not as butch as all black.

Like others, I am curious how this plastidip holds up. With all the driving that I do, I have already banged up the powder coat pretty badly on the stock rims (in fact, I just dinged one last week so badly that I had to replace it since the tires are tubeless). So I am curious how this plastidip experiment works. Perhaps this is a good preventative step to protect powder coating?

Thanks for your initiative and keep us posted—bad black sneakers boy!

Joseph *****

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM