PlastiDipped Wheels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David,
I was in Taiwan for a couple weeks got back a couple days ago and just checked the forum. The wheels look great. How did you cover the brakes and rotors? Did you take the wheels off to spary? I drove a TDV6 Disocvery 4 over there. Not sure I like the gear selector wheel they have.
Hey George,

I am currently in Boston for my brother's wedding. It is VERY easy to do the wheels, you do NOT need to even take them off - seriously you should try it since it would look sweet on your white LR4. Since you do not go off roading, it will probably last at least a year - you just can't spray wheel cleaner on it.

You can buy the matte black PlastiDip spray from Home Depot, it's really cheap. You will need about 4-5 cans to do all four wheels (that will leave you with a can or two for touch ups if needed). Basically, you use a trash bag (may need to cut it in the center to pull it apart a bit) and loosely feed it into the wheels and cover the brakes/calipers completely. Keep the bag loose because you will want to drive forward and back a few feet for the last few coats. You can also see this on YouTube if you search "PlastiDip wheels".

Before you start, make sure you clean the wheels very wheel - use denatured alcohol it works great. Once the wheels are clean and dry, cover the brakes/calipers with the trash bag, and then just spray the Plasti-Dip in quick sprays to cover for the first coat. Check it out on YouTube, do not try to cover everything on the first coat - it will just be a very light coat at first and then start to build up at each coat. You want to wait about 10-15 minutes in between coats - that's it. Just spray it on the wheels, working it into each angle of the rims - quick sprays work better, don't let it well up through constant sprays. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and the stuff coats like a dream - practically can't mess up.

DO NOT worry at all about overspray on the tire (it peels right off so easily) and just spray over the Land Rover emblem like I did.... For your last couple coats, move the truck forward 180 degrees to make sure you go all of the angles, then do it again. Once you have about 4-5 coats on the wheels and you like the look, just let it dry for a few hours completely (I did it overnight) and then you can easily peel off the overspray on the tires and even peel it off the green emblem - it just peels right off leaving it on the center cap! :) It's pretty damn amazing. Also wait until it's completely dry before pulling out the bags.

You can wash it and even power wash it with no problem, just use a microfiber cloth and car soapy water. I actually have some special clothes and wheel cleaner made for PlastiDip if you want it - I can send it over to you. I am having my wheels permanently powder coated black. :)

I hope that helps - e-mail me with any questions.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM