Please help me validate my Experience with SF Bay Area Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

starrover

Reaction score
I just joined in anticipation of receiving my 2011 LR4 HSE, however, I am starting to doubt that I'll receive it!

I have been dealing with LR Redwood City (even though I live in the South Bay) - I followed a salesman that I liked/trusted from LR San Jose there. I wanted an LR4 with HSE and Rear Seat Entertainment ONLY. Not easy to find as we all know. Any rate, they found an HSE only in one of my 3 color choices that was supposedly already at their port and to be delivered to the dealer by 2/21. I felt like I negotiated a really reasonable deal, they took my Honda Pilot on the spot from me in trade and put me in an LR3 to drive until my new car arrives. I have never traded in a car before and I found that to be really weird. But, here I am driving this LR3 for weeks, they have my Honda (without the title signed over) and my $1000 deposit. BTW - I made it clear that I needed the car by March (40th bday gift) and they said end of Feb at the very latest.

I have been told so many different things about where and why the car hasn't arrived. The latest is that it is at the port in Oakland waiting for final build - they supposedly aren't shipped with doors installed, etc. I just want confirmation from someone that this experience sounds "normal" and reasonable. Not to mention, that I still have to wait for them to install aftermarket DVD once they get it.

When I ordered a Mercedes several years ago - I actually got a tracking # and was able to follow it's progress every step of the way - it arrived on the exact day promised. These guys don't have any kind of firm timeframes and seem to have little visibility into shipment/arrival times, etc.

I really like my salesman, but I take everything anyone at a dealer says with a big grain of salt.

Any thoughts or personal experience with this dealer would be so appreciated. The anticipation is really getting to me...

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. The fact that you gave a dealer your trade in before you received your new car is literally crazy. I have never even heard of such a thing? What were you thinking? This really is a red *** in my opinion as to the validity of your dealer. Could you even get your car back...and just run away from this deal?
2. I would not bother waiting for this vehicle that might never appear...bite the bullet and settle on something different. Keep in mind--they did tell you end of Feb by latest--they have till Monday then.
3. Just curious...when did you make this deal originally?

Last edited:

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look at it this way...many European Countries are having to wait over a year for certain LR4's. RWC Land Rover is a good Dealership with great employee's. They are also one of our Club sponsors (NCLRclub.org). Paul is The Man in the Parts Dept and I hear great things about Brian (Service Adviser?). They gave you a FREE LR3 to use until your vehicle arrives. FREE. Use it and appreciate their effort to provide the best possible customer service that they can. They cannot control any BS that may arise from "the Port" and the info that they provide to you may be total BS upstream from them?? Relax and try to be a mellow customer. They are doing the best that they can. If they miss your B-Day target delivery date, don't flip out. It may be out of their control. Trust me, they want you to have the LR4 as bad as you want it. Be patient, drive the LR3 and appreciate the updated and improved LR4 when it arrives. If it takes 6 months, who cares? You still put miles on a FREE LR3 instead of a (snicker, snicker) Honda Pilot.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redwood City is a great dealership, very reputable! I wouldn’t worry too much about that. As for the early trade-in, why are you worrying about that? You’re happy with your purchase right? They locked you into a good deal and you both agreed on the program, so be happy. They'll come through.

As for the LR4 not arriving at the dealership in time, well... there is so much stuff going on in the world around us right now it could be anything. Land Rover is a very SMALL company and cannot provide all the fancy stuff you expect like Merc and BMW can. But remember, all that fancy (meaningless) stuff doesn’t come for free, those costs are priced into the sticker price. That’s why an entry-level BMW 3-series is now going for 60K when it's really worth 45K! I mean, $800 dollars alone is priced-in for the advertising... and their commercials suck. Consumers have so much to learn.

Anyway, try and be patient and give them a chance to deliver. If they are having trouble obtaining it, another dealership would also have trouble obtaining it. They all have access to the very same vehicles/inventory lists. If you want to be a sleuth, you could always explain your woes to another LR dealership (who’ll likely want your business) and ask them to assist you in finding this mystery car they are trying to get delivered to you.
But that tactic is up to you…

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look at it this way...many European Countries are having to wait over a year for certain LR4's. RWC Land Rover is a good Dealership with great employee's. They are also one of our Club sponsors (NCLRclub.org). Paul is The Man in the Parts Dept and I hear great things about Brian (Service Adviser?). They gave you a FREE LR3 to use until your vehicle arrives. FREE. Use it and appreciate their effort to provide the best possible customer service that they can. They cannot control any BS that may arise from "the Port" and the info that they provide to you may be total BS upstream from them?? Relax and try to be a mellow customer. They are doing the best that they can. If they miss your B-Day target delivery date, don't flip out. It may be out of their control. Trust me, they want you to have the LR4 as bad as you want it. Be patient, drive the LR3 and appreciate the updated and improved LR4 when it arrives. If it takes 6 months, who cares? You still put miles on a FREE LR3 instead of a (snicker, snicker) Honda Pilot.

Hehe, I was going to nudge a little about the Honda Pilot too but decided I was being too mean... I'm surprised LR even accepted it as a trade-in. That car will go straight to a aution.

Last edited:

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't given a tracking number either when I ordered my 2011 LR4 so that's probably the norm.

starrover

Reaction score
Thank you all for your insight. I agree that LR RWC is great - especially because: The sales guy called today to tell me that now we are looking at March 7thish for delivery. I expressed concern and unease over the situation and he called me back to offer 2 other cars that were recently delivered to the SJ dealer. The salesman from RWC met me in SJ to look at the cars. They both had more options than the one I am waiting for, but the sales manager agreed to keep our previous price and deal intact. I am really thrilled with their customer service and willingness to make me at ease and happy. I ended up choosing Rimini Red - quite a departure from my original choice of Stornoway Grey, but it's an eye catcher for sure. I take deliver tomorrow am. Will update about the car once I get to drive it awhile.

As for the Honda Pilot (you guys are really snobby :)), I am a mom of 3 kids...it was the PERFECT mom car while they were little. I never stressed about them trashing it. It had every comfort for me and convenience and safety for them. That period is over and back to my own needs. BTW - I have previously driven a BMW 540i and a Mercedes E55.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Starrover... glad it all worked out,Rimini Red is such a beautiful color choice. Wasn't poking fun at the Honda as a status thing but more truck vs. truck kinda thing. I'm a Land Rover freak. Sorry if it came out that way. Come back soon with a report.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4