Plus size tires and ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan is to purchase larger tires in the near future. I know there are potential issues with speedo calibration but are there also issues with the ABS or will it self calibrate? Appreciate any input.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems from the ABS system with larger tires. You may have marginally longer stopping distances because of the weight/height of the new wheel and tires, but it should feel the same during all stops.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems from the ABS system with larger tires. You may have marginally longer stopping distances because of the weight/height of the new wheel and tires, but it should feel the same during all stops.

Appreciate the input, given how sensitive the electronics seem to be I didn't know if I was going to open a can of worms.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a can of worms, but many of us have had the ABS kick in unexpectedly on slow, sharp, uphill/downhill roads. I just turn off the DSC when I hit these tight turns. You're already going very slow so the safety factor is secondary for me. Once the hairpins are over, I reactivate the DSC. No blood no foul.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a can of worms, but many of us have had the ABS kick in unexpectedly on slow, sharp, uphill/downhill roads. I just turn off the DSC when I hit these tight turns. You're already going very slow so the safety factor is secondary for me. Once the hairpins are over, I reactivate the DSC. No blood no foul.

Great advice, the HDC will still function normally, as designed, with the large diameter tires?

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4. All programs act accordingly on normal road conditions. Good advice from the other poster on noticeable braking difference once you get to 32" tires. Physics. Increased rolling mass and inertia = increased braking distances. Nothing scary. Just remember you're slowing down 6k+ lbs.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4. All programs act accordingly on normal road conditions. Good advice from the other poster on noticeable braking difference once you get to 32" tires. Physics. Increased rolling mass and inertia = increased braking distances. Nothing scary. Just remember you're slowing down 6k+ lbs.

Understood, I'm an engineer and I have a 89 Wrangler with 37's . . . . . appreciate the advice. I'm likely not going to go bigger until next spring, so I have time to "learn" how to handle this thing.

Took it on a pretty mild trail ride this weekend. I'm not 100% use to the seating position. The Jeep sits taller but the lights aren't the same. Took some getting use to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM