Post Sand Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looking to do Pismo in Aug w/SCLR . . . Since this is my day-to-day vehicle - Question: 1) what kind of cleaning/maintenance should I do following the trip?
under body wash, engine wash (will this cause electrical issues?) some kind of re-lubing of underside?
:confused:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...definitely under body wash. I just lubed up my bushings to eliminate some noises and I think it was much-needed. I found an aerosol-propelled grease (Lithium) that was perfect because it was less viscous at first, and thickened up after it got on the surface allowing me to get it inside each bush.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a garden type sprayer filled with WD-40 that I use to keep plastic & rubber as fresh as possible. The stuff works great for repelling water & salt. Makes things look nice too!

Geotrash

Reaction score
I have a garden type sprayer filled with WD-40 that I use to keep plastic & rubber as fresh as possible. The stuff works great for repelling water & salt. Makes things look nice too!
If you keep in mind that WD-40 is not a lubricant per se, but is primarily designed for displacing water, then you're using it correctly. It's not appropriate for lubricating pivot points, bushings, bearings or even door hinges. In fact it generally displaces whatever lubricant was originally there and will dry out the hinge or bushing quickly.

I much prefer surgical application of the aforementioned white lithium grease for pivot points and hinges.

Dave

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I should have mentioned that I do not use WD-40 for lubrication, but only to protect the metal & plastic. It it not a substitute for grease!

There are also some sprays available from marine suppliers that probably work better fyi.

Cogs4x4

Reaction score
Biggest Factor is not getting wet while on the sand... Stay out of the water until you get off the beach then wash the vehicle down - especially the underside...

LR3 does really well out there depending on the tires and pressure... (mud tires are worse than street tires - but worn mud tires are really nice)

Typically run 4low 2nd - 3rd Gears normal mode / sand mode / mud ruts and always disable DSC when on the sand...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clean my underbody when I return from a beach trip, but I still smile when the LR service techs comment that, "I see you're actually using the vehicle for what it was designed for!" (as they are treated with piles of sand on places I must not be able to reach with the hose). Most people must just use these rigs for dropping the kids off for soccer practice... :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM