power steering fluid flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

disc03

Reaction score
hi,my 03' disco has 66,000 mi.i just had the brakes done front and rear.the shop flushed my brake fluid too.do i need to flush my power steering as well?
any info and advice is greatly appreciated.
thank you,
disc03

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It never hurts to flush any and all fluids as it will keep your vehicle running happy longer.

disc03

Reaction score
thanks again joey for the advice.i will have my mechanic flush my power steering fluid.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be a auto flush system with the hoses used on Rovers due to leaking with replacements needed all the time. It never has a chance to stay in long enough to get
that burnt hot smell.
I would add a magnet to the reservoir to pick up any worn away metallic
particles vs letting them go round and round doing more wear and damage.
That Bendix box was used by Ford from only 1966 to early 1969 as it was a POS.
Ford saw this and sold the rights to it to Rover, go figure? Ford switched over to a
Saginaw box they used for over a 30 year span and seals are still available.
Go to England to get a Rover steering box rebuild kit they're cheap.
I'm now bone dry with the 95 D1, see how long this lasts?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At you mileage, you need to do the full 60K major service, which is it's biggest service, if you plan on keeping the truck current and trouble free.
Here is my list that can all be done on a Saturday while out on the driveway.
1 Oil filter, K&N 3001 or Mobil 1- 301
1 Factory air filter
6 Qts. of engine oil
2 feet of 3/16th vacuum tube
2 feet of 5/16th vacuum tube
12 Qts. of ATF
7 Qts. of 80/90W synthetic gear oil, 85W/140 for HD use
3 Pints of synthetic DOT 4 Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant, also called DexCool
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platinum Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat
1 bottle of WaterWetter or Purple Ice
Hoses and belts, as necessary

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I lube every suspension joint, tie rod, ball joint, driveshaft U joint, drive shaft splines sway bar "dog bones" at every other oil change or 5,000 miles. Fully zerked fittings added when I purchased this used 95 D1. Tie rods stiff as new zero wear grease sacks full.
Rare earth magnets 1/4" x 2" long added to the motor, trans (5 speed) transfer box and both diffs to pick up normal metalic wear dust. All this isn't by the Rover book or service departments so called "Tech" training manuals but neither is running vehicles over 500K between engine rebuilds. Yes I run them hard being a hot rodder. A pre-oiler on all my vehicles plus the Rover needs one the most of any motor l have ever owned with the dry starts. This makes then live way longer. I run ZDDP Plus zinc additive in the oil to save the RPI cam and bearings from failing with the lack of ZDDP in the oil these days due to the EPA, cats and roller lifters that Rovers do not have. They just slowly wear away your loss who cares your rebuild money down the toilet. Not me.

The 60K major plus end of lease 60K/5 year the doctor had the full Monti done including new Michelins installed on my D1. He planned on keeping this D1. Shame I caught this dealer 2 days after becoming the new owner with the billed service work that wasn't done with the PO billed for this major service. I asked this Stearship about this service not done with photos of the brake bleeders not uncovered with underseal still on them plus road dirt and was almost assulted in this Stealership and kicked out with the work not preformed but billed.
LRNA was notified about this rip off Stealership in San Francisco then all hell broke loose after sending in photos to LRNA. No thanks I do my own work. You trust a aircraft mechanics ability to keep a plane in the air and your life?
I'm a licensed A&P mechanic for the airlines. Now you understsand why i'm so harsh on stealerships and those half azz DIY so called mechanics. Sorry got me cranked up again. I feel sorry for the suckers that believe the Stealerships are the gods to keep your blessed Rover running for 500K miles. Dream on. They would be out of business if this happened, do the minimum or not at all for comeback repairs plus they are in the car selling business.
not repair. Done venting sorry fellow Rover owners. The last straw was when a service manager friend told me this was "a soccer mom money making POS vehicle that keeps him on the payroll". A few Rover mechanics I know have either 302 Fords or 350 Chevy's in their Rovers, this telling you something?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72