problems from the start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sherrilynn256

We just purchased a 98 Land Rover Disco. Series I with 140,000 miles on it. The good news is, we bought it cheap. The bad news is that it has been a pain since day one. The battery light came on and the car died. We replaced the atlernator and the battery because we wanted to get off to a good start. The engine was running a little hot so we had the radiator flushed and a new thermostat put in. Today, the tachometer stopped working completely. I know this is a sign of alternator problems. We have only put 250 miles on the Disco and with what we have spent so far, that averages out to over $1/mile. Any suggestions?

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of L.R. Disco's. LOL.
But seriously, I purchased my 96' about a month ago, with about the same mileage and I got it for a really good price too. I too have been having issues with mine. A few weeks ago I was really thinking I had made a big mistake. However, all the issues have been working themselves out and I am really pleased with my purchase. I am mechanically inclined so I have been able to do all the fixing myself.
Here's the lowdown, you and I have bought vehicles that have seen a fair bit of road time.....so, they are bound to have some issues. I expected that when I bought it. Since I got mine for such a good price, if the engine blew up tomorrow, I could get it rebuilt and still come out ahead of the game. So no matter what happens, I think I still made a good purchase.
My Disco is running nicely, it is just a bunch of finicky little things that are plagueing it right now. If it starts up and get me from point A to point B, then that is what really matters in the end. There isn't a vehcile in the world that doesn't have it's own little idiosyncrasies.
I hope I can encourage you by saying have a little patience, in due time everything should come together. Disco's are, really great vehicles after all. And as time passes it will start to grow on you. Probally the best thing you have done so far is to join up here. I have found the folks here extremely helpfull, and there probally isn't anything you will go through that they haven't experienced also. So when you have an issue, post it on the Discovery foroum, I'm sure someone out there can give you some sound advice!
Welcome to the family!!!!

S

sherrilynn256

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I had the alternator tested this afternoon and was told that it was bad. It was a remanufactured alternator from Auto Zone. I have read some not so great things about those since my purchase but since it is guaranteed, I guess I'll take it back to them and try another.

As for the other issues, I guess they are minor. The cruise control comes and goes. It didn't work when we purchased the Disco but we found a crack in one of the lines and replaced it. It worked once and the hose slipped off again. When we replaced it the second time, the cruise wouldn't work and hasn't worked since. I am not real concerned with that at this time. I will deal with that when we get the more pressing things resolved. I am fairly confindent that the cruise will work when we replace all the vacuum lines.
The fog lights don't work but that is not a real concern either.

The engine sounds good and seems to run well. It leaks a little oil but I understand that is common and expected. It started spitting and sputtering today but I am hoping that may be related to the alternator/tachometer problem because it has not done that before.

Once again, thanks for the encouragement. I will try to be patient and not get so overwhelmed. One day at a time....

98 Disco LE7 140,000 mi

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to be the person to say anything bad about Disco's, but at 140,000 miles... if you don't know any of the history as far as maintenance goes, I would start with a good tune up, have the brakes checked, get a new fuel filter even buy a fuel pump and have it laying around in case. Order a brake switch and keep in the glove box...

Then I would seafoam the vehicle.... i.e. one can in gas tank, one in the oil, and one in the intake. Replace all the hoses vacuum and water... then I would be a little less concerned. But you can do each of these at a time, I would just recommend getting them done... I would hate to read that you are stranded somewhere.

S

sherrilynn256

Thanks for the advice. The vehicle is an awesome ride. It is in great physical condition and I am sure that with some patience and your suggestions that we'll get the kinks worked out.

Today we put on the second alternator. The tachometer is working again and the car drove good for several miles and then started cutting out again. When it cuts out, the RPM's go crazy. Do you think this could be a tensioner or belt problem? The car had always run smoothly until we replaced the alternator .

98 Disco LE7 Series I
142,000 mi

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you put the belt back on correctly? That would be my first question. Second at what speed was it acting up? Did it have any other issues...

S

sherrilynn256

We didn't take the belt off of anything except the alternator itself and we looked at the belt and made sure it looked okay before we put it back on. Also wathced it for a while after install...seemed fine. The spitting and sputtering started for me last night on interstate so it would have probably been around 70 mph...

I was planning on doing the Seafoam thing this week and also having our mechanic give the Disco a good looking over. When the car starting cutting out on me last night I got a little paranoid because that's what is started doing before the last alternator went out (it was cutting out at lower speeds that time though-50 or 55) THANKS FOR INPUT

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a VSS issue (Vehicle Speed Sensor) when it acts up shift from 4th to 3rd. If it goes away the VSS is bad. Less than $70 and you will be up and running again.

Nathan at www.discountbritishparts.com is a good place for parts, and no I Am in no way compensated by anyone ordering from him... he has just taken good care of me when I needed things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635