Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BendRover, mine had that seat wobble also. Its incredibly annoying. There are some ball bearings in the track that wear up against a plastic spacer, slowly increasing a gap over time.

I recently watched an episode of Wheeler Dealer on Mototrend where Ant Anstead (talented mechanic), performed a fix for this on a Corvette. Looked pretty easy to fix, or, just get new sear runners. I have the mototrend app to watch, but they have “freebee” snippets of the show on YouTube and it’s possible that repair is available there.

Kyle Imes

Reaction score
i bought a land rover a couple months ago and it needed head gaskets. it has 162,000 miles on it with the 4.4 engine. I tore the engine apart and replaced the head gaskets along with the secondary chain tensioners. after getting it all back together it threw a code "cam out of correlation" so i took it all back apart and re-timed the thing. after putting it back together again it ran great after I connected the maf sensor and changed the egr. now it runs great except for when coasting downhill, i can go uphill or let it idle in the driveway for hours with no change, but when i start coasting downhill it seems to go into limp mode and has no throttle response. i can push the pedal to the floor and it will shift down but nothing from the engine. it throws three codes when this happens, im not sure of the p0 code but it says "internal torque calculation performance" twice and a third code says forced engine shutdown. i am absolutely losing my mind trying to figure this out and nothing has worked so far. i added about a quart of transmission fluid and the cam sensors are brand new but at this point im just stuck. any help would be greatly appreciated.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to item:

4. It appears the weak or hesitant starting has returned recently even with fully charged battery (and the alternator, starter and grounding having been redone before).

Any suggestions?

My next cause of action was:

0. replaced relays for the immobilizer, and ECU (that didn't seem to do the trick)
1. replace negative ground wire from battery to body frame (could be bad)
2. have the ECU software reloaded (heard for some people that resolved starting issues)

My Landrover LR3 2008 SE V8 has now 125,000 on it. Issue and work done:Battery parasitic draw (drain issue 0.7A) - car couldn't go to sleep properly so had to have the instrument cluster replaced
  1. Alternator was weak (shaft could barely be rotated once out of the car) - probably due to issues mentioned in 3 - replaced with 250AMP high output alternator, now battery finally charges and stays charged at 50% capacity or above
  2. Seat cushion cracking front driver outer side - replaced with new Landrover OEM seat cushion
  3. Didn't have a winch - got a hidden winch mount and installed a rough country 12000lb winch, synthetic rope (took tons of time cutting up the bumper cover from the inside)
  4. Had weak starting, hesitant starting, cranking over, HTC faults and weak charging faults - in addition the replacing the alternator above and battery with it, turned out replacing the starter itself and redoing all the grounding between the alternator to battery to starter did the trick
  5. Like most people here had a cracked and small leak in thermostat housing - had a full flush and corrosion protection cycle treatment done and a new thermostat body installed
  6. Various small sources and locations of corrosion - under battery tray looked like a battery from the previous owner had spewed its guts, so was left to me to remove the corrosion and repaint the whole area under the battery tray, I use rust conversion coating (permeated for everything) and then a rust black protection coating, otherwise fasteners around front fender panels and bumper and retainer metal clips rusted solidly and needed replacing
  7. Standard 100,000mi or so issue with one of the axle boots front right - was cracked so had to buy a whole new axle, didn't realize that boot rebuilt kits exist for the Landy!
  8. One or two relays had failed (windshield wiper front) - I replaced most of the relays since after 10years and me being the third owner I wanted to make sure that won't be one of an issue that I will have to deal with the next 10years
  9. Electrical faults fixed myself with parking system throwing errors and not working properly amber light - replaced parking module computer, tire pressure monitoring system fault eve though sensors where active and had battery life - replaced the TPMS module computer, windshield wiper did not start on rain - replaced the rain sensing module
My Landrover LR3 2008 SE V8 has now 125,000 on it. Issue and work done:
  1. Vibration at 80-90Mi/Hr - tierods, ball joints, wheel bearing, also had the brake disk resurfaced (60$ at Les Schwann which helped reduce vibration during braking a lot!)
  2. Knocking sound driving over uneven road - sway bar bushings
  3. Battery parasitic draw (drain issue 0.7A) - car couldn't go to sleep properly so had to have the instrument cluster replaced
  4. Alternator was weak (shaft could barely be rotated once out of the car) - probably due to issues mentioned in 3 - replaced with 250AMP high output alternator, now battery finally charges and stays charged at 50% capacity or above
  5. Seat cushion cracking front driver outer side - replaced with new Landrover OEM seat cushion
  6. Didn't have a winch - got a hidden winch mount and installed a rough country 12000lb winch, synthetic rope (took tons of time cutting up the bumper cover from the inside)
  7. Had weak starting, hesitant starting, cranking over, HTC faults and weak charging faults - in addition the replacing the alternator above and battery with it, turned out replacing the starter itself and redoing all the grounding between the alternator to battery to starter did the trick
  8. Like most people here had a cracked and small leak in thermostat housing - had a full flush and corrosion protection cycle treatment done and a new thermostat body installed
  9. Various small sources and locations of corrosion - under battery tray looked like a battery from the previous owner had spewed its guts, so was left to me to remove the corrosion and repaint the whole area under the battery tray, I use rust conversion coating (permeated for everything) and then a rust black protection coating, otherwise fasteners around front fender panels and bumper and retainer metal clips rusted solidly and needed replacing
  10. Standard 100,000mi or so issue with one of the axle boots front right - was cracked so had to buy a whole new axle, didn't realize that boot rebuilt kits exist for the Landy!
  11. One or two relays had failed (windshield wiper front) - I replaced most of the relays since after 10years and me being the third owner I wanted to make sure that won't be one of an issue that I will have to deal with the next 10years
  12. Electrical faults fixed myself with parking system throwing errors and not working properly amber light - replaced parking module computer, tire pressure monitoring system fault eve though sensors where active and had battery life - replaced the TPMS module computer, windshield wiper did not start on rain - replaced the rain sensing module

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut