Pulls hard right on acelleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Hi all,
Any luck resolving the front steering issue, did you figure out what was causing the issue?

I am searching a number of forums and posting my issue as it could be caused by any number of factors. I’ll bring everyone up to speed -pun intended.

I have a 2012 LR4 with a very similar issue in terms of pulling to the right. Hands on the wheel, you I can counter the effects, hands off the wheel (not recommended), wild/aggressive pull to the left.

I just recently had a crap ton of work that may be the cause. I recently had my engine chain replaced. Replaced both rear control arms with polly bushings, I had an ARB rear locker installed and had the crank battery replaced.

It feels more like a traction control issue, which is better explained: It feels like a front wheel drive vehicle hunting for traction in slippery conditions, but I'm on dry pavement. DSC nor any other warning lights come on. No faults at all light up on dashboard.

To help troubleshoot the issue:
1. the dealership took 4 stock wheels from another LR4 in the shop, put them on my vehicle, test drove the truck and no issue with the traction control. From what I’m told...

2. My LR has KO2 tires, the dealership measured the tread on front and rear. Big difference between them. Fronts were “like” new and rear had very little tread left. I replaced the rear with 2 new tires. That didn’t resolve the traction control issue. My thought was that the traction control system was “faulting” due to the difference from tread measurements on the front tires compared to rear tires. No change.

3. I thought it might be a steering sensor issue so I took my truck back to the auto shop to troubleshoot a possible steering sensor issue or investigate possible solutions and discovered I had a near blown right rear wheel bearing and from the test-driving/troubleshooting I completely destroyed it. In hindsight, it’s a good thing I kept searching for what was causing the front-end issue because I would not had discovered that my wheel bearing was so bad. I could have found out somewhere on a trail or a long car trip with my family. It could have ended much worse.

As a result, I had both right/left wheel bearings replaced and the right rear axle replaced. Driving with the blown wheel bearing damaged the axle. (Basically, my rear-end is like new. LOL). The only thing left to replace is the left axle but it doesn’t need it. No damage. Also, this work didn’t fix the front steering issue.

Anything you can share would be helpful and appreciated, especially if replacing the front bushings/axel, etc.. resolved the issue.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting power to the rear wheels? Putting all the power through the front would definitely give torque steer.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Great question and thank you for responding. Not sure, is there a way I could test that other than taking it to my local dealership or back to the auto repair shop?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm no idea other than trying to put your fronts in a low traction situation to see if the backs get power. No idea but perhaps something ***** in the transfer case. You could try 4 low and see if you get the same behavior. This would rule out the transfer case.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
I like the suggestion of putting the truck in 4 low. Good idea, since having the locker installed, I should test the locker engaged in 4 low, better to test it now rather than on the trail. I tested the locker engaged in high after the install and it’s smooth. It works.

I’ll report back with the findings.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Update:
I put the truck in 4 low and had the torque steering issue. Same with the truck in 4 low and locker on. With that said, with the truck in 4 low, I can definitely feel all 4 wheels engaged. I’m going to repeat my steps and write down each finding and record what happens to the wheel during acceleration. I’ll have my wife or daughter work the video.

not sure what this all means... mulling it over still.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is good news. It means your transfer case and everything rearward is not broken. If you have checked all the mechanical bits and they are fine it must be a wonky traction control sensor or something like that.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Taking it to the the dealership or auto shop, hopefully by mid week, depending on availability. I’ll check back, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has had this issue for a while now, and it’s actually causing my right front tire to wear more then my left front. All the alignment is spot on and everything. I had an independent shop look at all the suspension and everything and they said it looks perfect and super clean and brand new. This leads me to believe that it’s something internal, that can’t be seen from the outside.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Got it, thank you Jimmy. I hope to have the dealership look it over early this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi