Pulls hard right on acelleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be interested to see if it happens in reverse too. Not sure if you can safely test that though.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Sorry about the frustration! Back to the recent “crap ton of work” you had done. I know this is rehashing, but if it wasn’t doing that before then doesn’t it seem like the ARB rear locker should be the prime suspect? I say that because after watching your videos (geez btw!), while maybe not the correct technical term, it looks like ‘torque vectoring’ gone berserk, ….but while steering straight.

I admit that I don’t have knowledge of how the ARB rear locker splices into the LR terrain response/traction control/drive train programs and electronics, but it sounds tricky.

I haven’t noticed this phenomenon before with mine, but next time I have it out I’m going to swing by a wide open patch of asphalt to ‘push it’ while in various modes and see what happens.
I hate to admit but your point is exactly my concern. I didn’t have the issue before the locker... well, it’s easy to point to it. I have in the back of my mind to swap back in the ok’d diff and be done with it. A number of LR buddies have talked me back off the ledge on that idea... their thinking is along the lines that the TC system is completely unaware of the locker, it is effectively an open diff, plus I have the same TC (torque steering) issue with the locker engaged. Still not simply ruled out. Unfortunately!
I’d love to rule out the locker not only because I want to keep it but it would be a positive direction as I have ruled out tires and alignment causing the issue.
Like testing each hypothesis then ruling it out.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
So here is a thought but pardon my use of terminology...
Torque Steering Issue:
The drivetrain turns the rear diff which spins the wheels. If the gearing ratio is slightly different from what is programmed in the onboard computer, with very little to zero tolerance, could this cause more torque in the front wheels to compensate for rear drag. It’s like the onboard computer thinks the truck needs more front-end pull to compensate for the lack of rear-end push. The shift in torque is being distributed from the rear to the front which is more than it can handle... not sure if this makes any sense but I’m throwing all ideas on the table no matter how silly I sound.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issue with weight in the back as I have the truck “ready to go” kitted out with recovery gear and a bug out setup, so weight isn’t an issue. In fact, I should do the opposite, empty the truck to see if their is a difference.

My point here was that you could try adding more weight to one rear corner to deliberately create an imbalance (then maybe switch it to the other rear corner) to see if it makes a difference in the steering issue - might tell you wether the car is showing some imbalance in the rear suspension (one corner pitching down) when you accelerate.

I admit that I don’t have knowledge of how the ARB rear locker splices into the LR terrain response/traction control/drive train programs and electronics, but it sounds tricky.

I assumed the air locker doesn’t integrate at all with the electronic terrain response. I thought it just does its own thing - locks the diff - and the terrain response just works as it did before, since it was originally an open diff. Now, if you tried to replace an original electronic locking diff with an ARB air locker, you’d have to do something like reflash to a non-HD version. But here, seems like terrain response just assumes you’ve got traction when you’re locked up, and acts the same as it always was when the diff is unlocked.

If the steering issue was only happening when the new ARB diff was open, but not when it was closed, that might point to the differential as the problem - maybe sending too much power to one rear wheel. But since the steering issue is happening when the differential is locked up, doesn’t seem like that can be the problem. Although that begs the question... are you sure that diff is locking up when commanded?

Pulling the fuses on the TC and ABS would be a good test if the car doesn’t go absolutely berserk. You could rule out that whole system.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just searched for ARB diffs and torque steering issues and found a couple of interesting threads with similar symptoms (yes, I have a real job, I just don’t want to do it). In one case, the ARB front diff had lost a couple of pinion teeth:
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/weird-problem-with-arb-lockers-need-help.457033/

In another case, they never determined the problem because they put it up on a lift and ran it to see if power was being distributed properly - the problem just went away. Assumed something in the drive train was binding up.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/does-arb-front-locker-torque-steer.106098/

Just food for thought.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried accelerating with the lockers engaged?

kevinkelley

Reaction score
My point here was that you could try adding more weight to one rear corner to deliberately create an imbalance (then maybe switch it to the other rear corner) to see if it makes a difference in the steering issue - might tell you wether the car is showing some imbalance in the rear suspension (one corner pitching down) when you accelerate.

I assumed the air locker doesn’t integrate at all with the electronic terrain response. I thought it just does its own thing - locks the diff - and the terrain response just works as it did before, since it was originally an open diff. Now, if you tried to replace an original electronic locking diff with an ARB air locker, you’d have to do something like reflash to a non-HD version. But here, seems like terrain response just assumes you’ve got traction when you’re locked up, and acts the same as it always was when the diff is unlocked.

If the steering issue was only happening when the new ARB diff was open, but not when it was closed, that might point to the differential as the problem - maybe sending too much power to one rear wheel. But since the steering issue is happening when the differential is locked up, doesn’t seem like that can be the problem. Although that begs the question... are you sure that diff is locking up when commanded?

Pulling the fuses on the TC and ABS would be a good test if the car doesn’t go absolutely berserk. You could rule out that whole system.
I will give this a try tomorrow. Thank you for keeping after this.
Thank you to everyone that has shared your time and thoughts.

I do need to emphasize one point:

the dealership tells me the steering issue goes away when they swapped all 4 tires with stock LR4 tires from another LR4 under repair at the same time they were looking over my truck. I have not seen this for myself. I have 2 friends with an LR3, I’m going to see if I can test it myself.

Thanks again.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting,. Just read your sig and realized you were 2" over stock.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA