Question about the hood latch sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

merrion13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the 'bonnet open' message and have read the posts about replacing the sensor. I've tried unplugging and cleaning it and that worked for a week but now it is back so I want to replace the sensor. What I don't know is how the replacement works, because it seems from looking at it that the wire is spliced in somewhere with other wires and I don't want to damage anything. See the attached pictures, how the wire from the sensor plug leads into a larger bundle of wires which are wrapped in insulation. Any guidance from those of you who have done this before?

Attachments

• sensor1.jpg
    sensor1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 174

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to replace it unless you want to...

It's not a matter of cleaning, but rather the angle that the hood latch closes the switch. Bend and bend and bend... you'll never get it perfectly right...

I had the same issue... I just disconnected the harness from the sensor, placed a piece of folded over foil over the holes and plugged the harness back in to complete the circuit... Never had a problem since...

Takes about 5 minutes of your time...

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way... replacing the sensor is easy as well if you want to go that route...

If you do that pm me and I'll snap some pics for you... takes about 5 minutes and $100 bucks for the sensor...

Foil trick is free...

merrion13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks trickblue; so for the foil, I just place a piece of foil over each hole and plug it back in? How do you get the foil to 'stick', do I place some of it in the actual holes on the harness?

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... just fold it over a couple times for thickness and plug the harness back in...

Bily Lovec

Reaction score
By the way... replacing the sensor is easy as well if you want to go that route...

If you do that pm me and I'll snap some pics for you... takes about 5 minutes and $100 bucks for the sensor...

Foil trick is free...

please tell me you didnt pay $100 for the sensor ?
i paid $45 @ my local LR dealer and that was an @$$ ******, someone on the other sensor thread posted an online link for it and it was only around $15 bucks.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please tell me you didnt pay $100 for the sensor ?
i paid $45 @ my local LR dealer and that was an @$$ ******, someone on the other sensor thread posted an online link for it and it was only around $15 bucks.

No... I used the foil as my LR dealer wanted $90 for the sensor. I was born at night, but not LAST night...

If I could find one for $15 or $20 I would go ahead and buy a new one...

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy fix...if you're not an idiot :hello:

I was having this same problem so I loosened the torx bolts and raised the latch mechanism 1/8" or so. To test it I shut the hood and locked the car. It took about five attempts, each time the horn honked indicating it wasn't working. It was about that time I realized that while I was testing it, the driver's door was open. Der. Other than this oversight it was a 5 minute fix and the problem is solved!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4