Question for LR4 owners that switched to 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is that I'm not 100% sure that the offset of the alloy rims is exactly the same of the steel rims. So the fact that 265/65 tires work well on tuffants steel rims, might not imply that they work equally well on tuffants alloy rims. Most likely yes, but I was checking if someone had direct experience with the alloy version.
Just ask Tuffant. They responded to one of my questions quickly and were easy to get ahold of.

Bilal Kabbani

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm fitting 265/65/18 BFG KO2 on Terrafirma 18 inch wheels with spacers and a 2 inch lift with rods and I'm getting quite a bit of rubbing on those horns. I'm really puzzled as none of the trucks with those size of wheels and tires seemed to have rubbing issue. Can someone help?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Answered you in the other thread. Get your caster checked.

Hello,

I'm fitting 265/65/18 BFG KO2 on Terrafirma 18 inch wheels with spacers and a 2 inch lift with rods and I'm getting quite a bit of rubbing on those horns. I'm really puzzled as none of the trucks with those size of wheels and tires seemed to have rubbing issue. Can someone help?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some have had KO2 265/65r18’s mounted without rubbing, but not sure if that was with terrafirma wheels with spacers. The offset makes a difference as to whether they will rub or not. With the terrafirmas and spacers, you have considerably different offset than, for instance, the 18” compo rims or some of the tuffant rims without spacers. I just don’t remember reports on that particular wheel.

I also believe there might be some variation on how much those frame horns stick out. There isn’t much clearance even on my 265/60r18’s, so a little variation in that frame horn can make a big difference.

Oddboy

Reaction score
TuffAnt, who I'm currently leaning towards for 18" wheels, suggests there might be some "slight rubbing" in "full lock" and "when new," which is a fair number of variables.

265/65 R18's with TuffAnt MKII ET27's on Nitto Ridge Grappler here. What TuffAnt has told you is exactly my experience. My Ridge Grappler's were brand new and in full lock to the right it would rub on the frame horn (sounds weird at first but it's not doing any damage to the tire/vehicle). Oddly enough, it doesn't really rub on a full lock to the left. Not sure what that's about, but YMMV. I personally notice I rarely full-lock on a trail anyway, it's only in city/urban driving where it happens more often.

Photo Jun 30, 5 54 00 PM.jpg

MattyF

Reaction score
Curious does anyone know, can you drive the Tuff Ant ET27 with 265/65R18's on bump stops? Trying to decide between the ET44 and ET27. I like the more aggressive look of the 27s.

DallasLoneStar

Reaction score
I also need to know that. Seems like the offset choice for Tuffant between ET27 and ET44 has mainly been mentioned regarding the 27 looking more aggressive (so i assume it sticks out further) but what I really need to know is which one allows (best?) mobility on bump stops with a 265/65R18? Because that is exactly what I want... and a scheduled Texas Rovers trip in July has given me a reason to get moving on this. Right now I am still on stock wheels and the tires are about shot, so need to do something soon.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bite the bullet & get 5 X Compo's & fit 265/60 X 18 BFG A/T KO2's. You own THE BEST all-round
vehicle!! So don't mess around with any second best option. The compo's are the best quality
wheel available for the LR4. The 265/60's avoids ANY issues with rubbing/fouling & the difference
in tire wall height is negligible in even the roughest terrain. PLUS, the 265/60 fits into the spare
wheel underbody space fully inflated, unlike the 265/65's. The BFG's are SO tough in the sidewall-
better than Copper's, Nitto's etc in our rocky & flinty terrain.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no rubbing whatsoever with the 265/65/18 BFG All-Terrains and New Defender steelies, so whatever offset is closest to those wheels is what I would go with.

Counter to @RobRover88, I wouldn't go through all the trouble and expense of running 18" wheels only to run tires barely larger than stock. The 265/65 tires are problem free. If you believe you need all-terrain tires for what you are doing, you should be carrying an air compressor (and a suitable method to air your tires down) regardless, so airing down the spare is not an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM