Questionnaire and my LR4 Gas Mileage Theory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you guys calculating mpg?
I use the Trip A computer which I reset after every fill-up. I take the number of miles driven and divide it by the number of gallons filled. I stick the numbers in my iPhone calculator and compare it to the MPG number reported by the Trip A computer before I reset it. I don't record or track it -- though I probably should have. I know there are several apps that do a great job of keeping track of this info -- just enter in the car total mileage and gallons filled up each time. I haven't actually used them, but sounds like the most accurate way to keep track of this.

My actual calculated estimates: when I drive mostly city, I get between 14-16 mpg. Mixed, I get 15-18mpg. Mostly highway, I get 17-19. I believe I had one tank that calculated to just over 20 MPG, but that was coming home from the mountains, all highway and downhill.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Trip A computer which I reset after every fill-up. I take the number of miles driven and divide it by the number of gallons filled. I stick the numbers in my iPhone calculator and compare it to the MPG number reported by the Trip A computer before I reset it. I don't record or track it -- though I probably should have. I know there are several apps that do a great job of keeping track of this info -- just enter in the car total mileage and gallons filled up each time. I haven't actually used them, but sounds like the most accurate way to keep track of this.

My actual calculated estimates: when I drive mostly city, I get between 14-16 mpg. Mixed, I get 15-18mpg. Mostly highway, I get 17-19. I believe I had one tank that calculated to just over 20 MPG, but that was coming home from the mountains, all highway and downhill.
Thanks!

I am going to do the same thing and see where I am at... I did see I had about 2,000 miles on my Trip A and average mpg for me was 14.9.

Murphy

Reaction score
Are you getting this number from the LR4 computer, or are you calculating this manually? Because I find that I generally get close to 2 MPG less than what the LR4 computer calculates. It seems that the closer I get to empty, the bigger the disparity between the actual calculated value and LR4 computer value. I do a manual calculation after every tank and I usually fill up around 17-19 gallons.

I'm calculating this by filling up the tank and dividing the gallons by the miles driven. I never look at the computer. But guys... understand... I live in a small town of 5,000 people. The Main highway I-26 is 2 miles from my home. "Most" of our driving is School,Grocery,Church (locally and all less than 1/4 mile from our house), and then on the Highway to do Lowes/Clothes/Movies etc. I'd say our driving is 80% highway and 20% City.
We're just fortunate that way.
Murphy

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... I am planning to do a something a bit more mathematical, but just using the trip computer I went 14.3 miles (70% highway, 30% suburban roads). My average speed for that trip was 43 miles. The trip computer calculated my MPG at 14.6. It's funny though, I had my mode set on "Instant Fuel" and I watch the MPGs stay around low to mid 20s on the highway; however, I should say I am only on the highway for 3 miles and tend to stay in the right lane going about 60 mph. I want to do a more robust calculation, as I bet my MPGs are more like 16-17?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

On family vacations or trips between Lincoln and Omaha, I would normally get in the hi 19s and occasionally get over 20mpg doing the calculations at the pump. Even with a full compliment of passangers (7) and luggage strapped on teh back of the LR4 I would easily get 19mpg. This was always durning the summer months.

Durring the winter months, my milage was horrible. Even without short trips, my mileage was always below 17mpg. Even my sales man warned me about winter driving with the LR4.

Small trips in town; I almost always got in the 14-15mpg range. Too much engine, too much weight and way too much fun pulling away from stop lights.

Rob

Murphy

Reaction score
Hi all,

On family vacations or trips between Lincoln and Omaha, I would normally get in the hi 19s and occasionally get over 20mpg doing the calculations at the pump. Even with a full compliment of passangers (7) and luggage strapped on teh back of the LR4 I would easily get 19mpg. This was always durning the summer months.

Durring the winter months, my milage was horrible. Even without short trips, my mileage was always below 17mpg. Even my sales man warned me about winter driving with the LR4.

Small trips in town; I almost always got in the 14-15mpg range. Too much engine, too much weight and way too much fun pulling away from stop lights.

Rob

I think it's because there's "more" ethanol in the gas during the winter? Or do I have that backwards?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that gas is reformulated for the seasons in my area, but I always assumed it was due to the cold start ups and long periods it takes to get to operating temp.

I'm not sure of any other differences. Of course when there is snow or ice on the ground, the rules change and I totaly expect poor mileage.

Rob

Fm540i

Reaction score
Does it really matter. It's an LR4 not a Prius. If I was worried about mileage i would ave purchased something different. I like it better than my wife's full size RRSC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM