Quick Compressor Replacement Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after 10ish years, 100K miles, and a ton of mods to the system, I am starting to get my first suspension faults when it is cold outside, so I think I am just going to replace the compressor and valve blocks in hopes of getting another decade of solid service from them.

Having not done this job before, I'm curious. Does a replacement compressor come with a new dryer assembly as part of the compressor, or does it need to be purchased separately?

Anything besides compressor, dryer, and the 3 valve blocks I should be replacing while I have it apart?

And pre-emptively, coil spring guys, just save your time. I love the air suspension, and after what I have put this truck through, I think 10 years of trouble-free service is fantastic.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OE compressor (either AMK or Hitachi) does come with the dryer assembly pre-attached.

The center valve block is right by the compressor, so it's probably an easy job to do while down there. The front and rears can be done at a different time, although you'd have to deflate the entire system again.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are also kits to refresh the compressor. The desiccant tends to deteriorate and then send dust through the system that stops up the valves in the valve blocks. I am going to refresh that bit on mine, and my shop advised that the valve blocks respond well to a cleaning with simple green. You can also replace just the dryer part.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, they don't make the rebuild kit for the AMK.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I'm just going to replace everything, rather than worry about rebuilding components. After hearing all the negatives regarding air suspension over the years, I'm completely satisfied with 10 years of trouble-free service. It just seems more prudent to replace the components all at once with new pieces, under the assumption that getting another 10 years is a reasonable expectation. I also have a TR slider that has to come down to access that area, and I would much rather just deal with that monster once.

Anyone have any strong feeling regarding the Hitachi, AMK or Arott compressors? My truck came with the AMK version, but with the GAP Tool, I believe I could switch between them. I have read, anecdotally, that LR switched to the AMK due to availability issues after the Fukushima melt down in Japan, and not over any performance concerns.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So wait guys, the front valve block is by the front passenger wheel well, and the rear valve block is by the compressor in the rear?

They’re are only two valve blocks correct?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So wait guys, the front valve block is by the front passenger wheel well, and the rear valve block is by the compressor in the rear?

They’re are only two valve blocks correct?

There are 3.

The front is in the front wheelwell.

Center is right by the compressor.

Rear is over the driver's side rear strut tower.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I'm just going to replace everything, rather than worry about rebuilding components. After hearing all the negatives regarding air suspension over the years, I'm completely satisfied with 10 years of trouble-free service. It just seems more prudent to replace the components all at once with new pieces, under the assumption that getting another 10 years is a reasonable expectation. I also have a TR slider that has to come down to access that area, and I would much rather just deal with that monster once.

Anyone have any strong feeling regarding the Hitachi, AMK or Arott compressors? My truck came with the AMK version, but with the GAP Tool, I believe I could switch between them. I have read, anecdotally, that LR switched to the AMK due to availability issues after the Fukushima melt down in Japan, and not over any performance concerns.

I'd do exactly what you are doing and just replace instead of rebuild. I made an effort to rebuild the center valve block once but the rebuild kits are garbage and half the seals don't fit. All I needed to do was clean mine out, anyway. But if you are in there and want to just be done with it, replace is the way to go.

I'd probably just stick with AMK, although I haven't heard much about the Arnott kits (other than that they exist).

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Keep us posted on how you're able to swap compressors. I saw one video where the bracket didn't need to be removed if replacing like-for-like, but the Powerful UK guys pulled the entire bracket first. I'm in the same boat with a 2012, though when I posted a pic to ID mine, I was told it's Hitachi. I hope so b/c I want to carry a spare when out in the boonies in case the unthinkable happens.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA