Rain Water Leak

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Robbouchard, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Robbouchard

Robbouchard Member

Thanks

2. Robbouchard

Robbouchard Member

I tested it tonight and it is the sunroof drains that are leaking. When I pour water in the gutter water leaks through above the headliner, it’s as though no water is going down the hose. Does anyone know how the hose is connected at the sun roof end? It is leaking both sides, passenger and driver. It appears that either the hose is not connected at the sunroof, or the hose is blocked and if the hose is not sealed at the sunroof then water is bypassing the hose some how.

3. Robbouchard

Robbouchard Member

OK I bit the bullet and took it to a local shop. They found that both driver and passenger side drains were blocked. The hoses are in good condition, the issue was with the fitting at the roof. This fitting has a significantly smaller internal diameter than the hose and it collects dirt. They removed the fitting and drilled it to a larger size. Problem solved.

4. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

If you have a compressor, blow a little air through them every 6 months or so and it will keep them clear.

5. Robbouchard

Robbouchard Member

Great idea, thanks

6. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

Where do you access the drains to blow air?

7. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

They are at the four corners of the sunroof opening. They are a little black plastic panel with a hole in the middle.

I can post a pic when I get back home next week

8. Ian Morrison

Ian Morrison Active Member

I have the same problem with my Discovery 3 sunroof drains. I’ve even purchased 4 new drain tubes and thought I’d cured the problem. In very heavy rain falls I now think the drain tubes cannot cope with the amount of water coming down. I’ve found parking on slopes makes the problem worse and eventually the water will start pooling in the drivers footwell causing shorts in the Electrical wires which run along the bottom of drivers door well. I’ve also had water running down the roof lining then dripping over the steering console and shorting out the horn causing it too come on continuous at 1am in the morning. Have been told by Land Rover to remove the Air Vent on drivers side of front wing and make sure the sunroof drain outlet is totally unblocked and also make sure the other 3 outlets are totally clear too.Land Rover assures me these drains will cope with all rain conditions but I’m not convinced.

9. Azoo

Azoo Full Access Member

Interesting, my wife complained about water coming out of the srs plastic cover on the driverside pillar and i thought she was joking, so i guess i have to check the drain around the sun roof.

10. mrezo

mrezo Active Member

I literally had the same experience. Wife showed me a video of water just pouring out of the srs cover during heavy rain. Took it to Land Rover and they confirmed that the drains were clogged. The hoses were removed, flushed, and reinstalled free of charge. It was the least they could do after I paid for the timing chain replacement AND a remanufactured trans on the same service bill.

Mostly all sunroof equipped vehicles have similar problems if the drains aren't cleared.