Rattle in the Center Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MonitorLR4

Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 has a rattle or hum in the center console that increases with vehicle speed. I took the cup holders and "Water Shedder" (I love that my LR has a water shedder) and there is a piece of braided steel wire with a loop on it in a sleeve of what looks like thermoplastic. I drove it with my hand on the loop and its definitely the cause of the noise. I cant find a diagram to tell me what system the wire is associated with but it feel like its hooked directly to the transmission or drive line, which I highly doubt.

Anyone have this problem and more importantly know what the fix is?

Thanks,

Humming driving me nuts
Monitor, WA

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that wire and loop is the manual release for the parking brake.

Whenever I can find the source of a rattle, I use felt with adhesive to cover it. In the Walmart fabric department you can find sheets of black felt with adhesive on the back. Cut some to fit and cover the vibrating cable.

I just used a small square of felt to cover the inside of the front passenger seatbelt latch. Mine made noise where it made contact with the seat. Land Rover already had felt on the opposite side where it contacts the center console.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo