Rattle noise at passenger rear - outside the car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in the Northeast? The absolute best LR mechanic I have found is Brandon, the shop foreman at Land Rover Cape Cod. His knowledge of these vehicles is amazing. I'm 10 minutes form LR Hanover but drive over an hour to have him work on my LR4. Maybe give him a shot at the rattle. And if you need your transmission serviced, he is willing to use the Atlantic British kit. Usually dealer service departments will only use OEM parts.

Summer tourists should be leaving soon so a good time to visit Cape Cod.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in the Boston area? The absolute best LR mechanic I have found is Brandon, the shop foreman at Land Rover Cape Cod. His knowledge of these vehicles is amazing. I'm 10 minutes form LR Hanover but drive over an hour to have him work on my LR4. Maybe give him a shot at the rattle. And if you need your transmission serviced, he is willing to use the Atlantic British kit. Usually dealer service departments will only use OEM parts.

that would be about 4hrs from me. just a little too far

I already serviced the transmission myself.
swapped pans (using the AB kit), and drained/filled twice after driving for 50 miles between. besides needing to be done due to mileage (140k miles on the odometer), it also solved a toque convertor/RPM hunting issue when at cruising speed.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing to check - the jack and tool kit. And chance the tool kit items are rattling?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you have covered everything. I become obsessed with rattles so I feel your pain. Hope you can figure this out eventually.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in the Northeast? The absolute best LR mechanic I have found is Brandon, the shop foreman at Land Rover Cape Cod. His knowledge of these vehicles is amazing. I'm 10 minutes form LR Hanover but drive over an hour to have him work on my LR4. Maybe give him a shot at the rattle. And if you need your transmission serviced, he is willing to use the Atlantic British kit. Usually dealer service departments will only use OEM parts.

Summer tourists should be leaving soon so a good time to visit Cape Cod.

That is actually great to hear. Just bought a house in Chatham which is about 30 minutes away and parked a Rangie there for local use.

I won't be working on that one since it's a vacation house, so nice to hear a plug from someone with experience there.

If you like to fish for striped bass and drink Wachusett Blueberry hit me up. Boat is in the water in Chatham now.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is actually great to hear. Just bought a house in Chatham which is about 30 minutes away and parked a Rangie there for local use.

I won't be working on that one since it's a vacation house, so nice to hear a plug from someone with experience there.

If you like to fish for striped bass and drink Wachusett Blueberry hit me up. Boat is in the water in Chatham now.

Chatham is such a great location! Thanks for the offer, after this odd "summer of staying home" I'll go anywhere anytime next summer.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i caved and brought the car to my local LR dealer for diagnosis. we'll see what they say. I have a feeling they will blame it on rusted heat shields. which do have some rusted through bolts, but arent rattling. hoping for the best anyway.

in the mean time, I have a 2020 discovery sport loaner...what a POS.

light throttle tip in sucks. sometimes its fine, other times the engine revs to 2k+ before the car starts to move. and by that time the car lunges forward.

the electronics are soooo slow. might not sound like much, but something as simple as changing the volume is delayed by 1-2 seconds. the steering wheel controls are in a **** position that you have to remove your left hand from the wheel to skip tracks, otherwise your thumb crossing over the volume button is enough for it to accidently change the volume...then you have to wait 1-2 seconds to press another button while the infotainment catches up.

The only thing i really like is that it gives me an audible beep when approaching an intersection with a red light camera.

for a land rover, it certainly drives more like your average small crossover SUV. never thought id say it, but i like my 140k mile, antiquated, LR4 much more than a 2020 52k sticker Discovery sport.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the mean time, I have a 2020 discovery sport loaner...what a POS.

for a land rover, it certainly drives more like your average small crossover SUV. never thought id say it, but i like my 140k mile, antiquated, LR4 much more than a 2020 52k sticker Discovery sport.

I recently had the same loaner vehicle and totally agree. Who would pay $52K for a Discovery Sport? Last year we shopped for a new vehicle to add to the the family motor pool for our teen drivers. Honda Passport is far better than a Discovery Sport in so many areas and is $12K less.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealer called and the results are in.

ended up being bad parking brake shoe install. there was a loose clip and stretched spring rattling around. they wanted $190 diagnostics and $280 to fix the problem. I passed on the repair. ill fix it myself for $30 worth of parts. the $190 diagnostic fee is high, but worth it to me to conclude this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA