Rattle noise at passenger rear - outside the car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% fixed.

Dealer inadvertently fixed it for "free" since they very well couldn't put the brakes back together incorrectly.

Drove off from the dealer without a rattle.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in the Northeast? The absolute best LR mechanic I have found is Brandon, the shop foreman at Land Rover Cape Cod. His knowledge of these vehicles is amazing. I'm 10 minutes form LR Hanover but drive over an hour to have him work on my LR4. Maybe give him a shot at the rattle. And if you need your transmission serviced, he is willing to use the Atlantic British kit. Usually dealer service departments will only use OEM parts.

Summer tourists should be leaving soon so a good time to visit Cape Cod.

@PaulLR3

Just a note to say thanks for the recommendation. Ended up taking the Rangie we bought to keep on the Cape to see Brandon. Needed front LCA's and a flush of the t-case to deal with a little growl. As any dealer, they weren't cheap, but I spoke with him for a few minutes and he kind of lit up when he figured out I run a built LR4 and wrench it myself.

Probably saved myself $1,200.00 through that conversation, as I asked him how many timing chain jobs he had done on 4's, and he responded "more than he could count". I explained I was working my way through that now and was debating whether or not to replace the VVT sprockets while it was that far apart. He recommended against it, saying he had never experienced a problem in reusing them.

On a side note, after hitting Chatham every summer for the last decade, this was my first visit in the winter. It was humorous because that place is DEAD in the off season. Made for a nice, relaxing trip.

Thanks again.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i caved and brought the car to my local LR dealer for diagnosis. we'll see what they say. I have a feeling they will blame it on rusted heat shields. which do have some rusted through bolts, but arent rattling. hoping for the best anyway.

in the mean time, I have a 2020 discovery sport loaner...what a POS.

light throttle tip in sucks. sometimes its fine, other times the engine revs to 2k+ before the car starts to move. and by that time the car lunges forward.

the electronics are soooo slow. might not sound like much, but something as simple as changing the volume is delayed by 1-2 seconds. the steering wheel controls are in a **** position that you have to remove your left hand from the wheel to skip tracks, otherwise your thumb crossing over the volume button is enough for it to accidently change the volume...then you have to wait 1-2 seconds to press another button while the infotainment catches up.

The only thing i really like is that it gives me an audible beep when approaching an intersection with a red light camera.

for a land rover, it certainly drives more like your average small crossover SUV. never thought id say it, but i like my 140k mile, antiquated, LR4 much more than a 2020 52k sticker Discovery sport.

I got a loaner Discovery Sport while my Range Rover was in the shop. I couldn't agree more. Drove exactly like an airport rental Kia. Nobody coming out of an LR3/4 is gonna like those things in the slightest.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome avslash! By any chance were you there around 10am on Tuesday? I was coming in to the service department and someone was heading out with a Discovery Sport loaner.

I have a banging noise at right rear and as suspected I need new rear upper control arms. Original repair estimate with OEM parts was $1800. Spoke with Brandon and he was fine with using Atlantic British control arms at $138 each plus $600 in labor. All set for about half the original estimate.

As for your savings, my neighbor recently paid $9600 for a timing chain job on her LR4.

I'm in Duxbury where we have our own beach so I avoid the Cape in July and August when it's so busy. (Except last summer) Cape is great in the fall, especially when you can bike ride the Cape Cod rail trail with less traffic. For the next level of "DEAD" and relaxing, check out Nantucket in winter.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a loaner Discovery Sport while my Range Rover was in the shop. I couldn't agree more. Drove exactly like an airport rental Kia. Nobody coming out of an LR3/4 is gonna like those things in the slightest.

I can't believe LR even puts their name on a Discovery Sport. I agree...on par with any Kia airport rental.

I got a Velar loaner, which is a really nice car, especially in dynamic mode. Totally underrated and is an actual competitor to a base 5-series or A6.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't me on Tuesday, I was there a week or so ago. Probably the same loaner though.

Good to know they will use customer provided parts. I didn't even consider that since it was a dealer. Just paid my $2G and took my lumps since I was going home and my wife and daughters were staying to hang out a while.

I found it interesting that Brandon told me the manual specified T-case service for a FFRR was drain/fill/drive, drain/fill/drive, drain fill. Makes me think I need to dig into my LR4 manual.

And $9,600.00 for a chain job...WOW. Would love to see the breakdown of that invoice. Kind of makes the money spent on the tools to do it seem trivial.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA