Rattling catalytic converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

BrettSanDiego

I've just acquired a 2001 30th Anniversary Edition Range Rover with 37,000 miles. Unfortunately, I didn't test drive with the windows down so I didn't notice the rattle before. It's a significant rattle that appears at 2000-2500 rpm. I can clearly hear the catalyst is loose inside the converters when I knock on them with my fist.

I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem. Were others able to get the catalytic converters replaced under the regular new car emissions warranty?

Thanks for your help,
Brett

B

BrettSanDiego

Just a follow up report for informational purposes.

I took the Range Rover in to a local Land Rover dealer service department after being assured by the service writer that the cats would be covered under the 8yr, 80,000 mile emissions warranty. Upon inspection, they found that there was impact damage to the catalytic converter and decided that it would not be covered under warranty. There is some clear denting on the converter housing that I hadn't noticed upon my cursory look, so they are probably right. I had to abide by their decision.

In the end, however, it appears that rattling catalytic converters are covered under the emissions warranty if there is no obvious damage which may have caused the catalyst material to break loose.

Cest la vie,
Brett

C

chuber

Brett - I am in San Diego also. Where do you take your Rover for servicing?

B

BrettSanDiego

Chuber, I've only had it a couple of months. I do all my own routine maintenance, and plan to tackle most repairs until it gets really hairy. Since I figured the catalytic converter would be a warranty thing, I went to the Land Rover dealership (Miramar Land Rover). For a local independent mechanic, I have no idea. I haven't had to find one, yet. But, I should start looking for when I do need one. Sorry, I can't help.

Brett

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635