Rattling/Vibrating/Grinding/Ringing noise when turning at low RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtopkin

Reaction score
2015 LR4 with 71k miles on it makes a strange grinding/ringing noise when I turn left or right with low RPM (~1500), if I accelerate a little harder out of a turn it doesn't happen. It only occurs, and only sporadically when turning through low RPM. The noise almost sounds like an exhaust heat shield vibration, but I'm not entirely sure it's that.

I don't have a single fault code when running the GapIID tool, and the noise doesn't happen often, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced this or may know what it could be? It doesn't seem to hamper the driving experience, it's more of an annoyance, at least that's what I know right now.

dtopkin

Reaction score
I've seen some threads here on it potentially being a broken transmission pan/heat shield bracket? Not entirely sure, but it does have somewhat of a metallic sound to it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you or anyone else had the wheels off for any reason lately?

If so, check that the dust shields inside both of the front brake rotors haven't gotten bent a little in towards the rotors. I've had that happen and it makes a sound similar to what you describe.

Could also maybe be the wheel bearings.

dtopkin

Reaction score
Will definitely look into the dust shields—I'm pretty sure the wheels were taken off during an inspection I had done prior to buying the car. In addition, looking back at the service history, there was recent brake work done on the car—so I wouldn't be surprised if what you're describing is exactly what it is.

I was wondering if it was the bearings, but would that be the sound they'd make?

Michael Conley

Reaction score
It could be the wheel bearings. I picked it up at 80k and I would hear/feel a rhythmic grind when turning around jug-handles and the wheel would vibrate a higher speeds even with a wheel balancing. Had mine replaced by my indy and it's been quiet and smooth ever since.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the transmission heat shield. It goes off when you are in gear and hit 1200-1500 rpms, then it goes away. It’s a very brief episode, and it sounds just like a heat shield vibrating.

dtopkin

Reaction score
That sounds like the transmission heat shield. It goes off when you are in gear and hit 1200-1500 rpms, then it goes away. It’s a very brief episode, and it sounds just like a heat shield vibrating.
That's what I was thinking too. And the more I drive the car, the more I'm beginning to think that's the case. Especially because it happens again, only at that 1200-1500 rpms when in gear, doesn't matter if turning or straight. If accelerating quickly past that 1200-1500rpm range, the noise isn't present.

Does this require a transmission heat shield replacement? Or is it a matter of just tightening it because it's loose? Any thoughts here?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a crack in the bracket that holds the heat shield on, so the bracket needs to be replaced (or maybe there’s a way to weld it or epoxy it - not sure). There’s a TSB on the problem with some diagrams, but I can’t remember the number. Not a hard fix if you have the new bracket, from what I understand. But I know some people didn’t want to spend the money to get a new bracket, so I think they just removed the heat shield and bracket althogether. I was lucky enough to catch it while the car was still in warranty, so I didn’t have to deal with it, but I certainly wouldn’t pay dealer prices for this problem.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that vibration in 1400-1600 rpm, part throttle acceleration. I just removed the heat shield and bracket altogether and it eliminated the noise. As far as I can tell I can't see any cracks in the legs that hold the shield up, although I only have 2 of those little pads between the heat shield and the bracket (whereas the TSB says to install 4 pads, 1 at each corner). SO perhaps it just the missing foam pads.

When I have some time I may try to diagnose a bit more...

Links to the TSBs

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've read on here where people have had their brackets welded to stop the noise. It's probably something a muffler shop would do for $20 if you remove the part and hand it to them over the counter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA