Real world MPG on the LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haleakala

Reaction score
If the LR4 is anything like the vehicle I'm trading in, if you can reset the average mileage while driving, just do it while coasting or driving down a slope. The indicated mileage will go way up. I can't test it because mine hasn't arrived yet.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why the current LR4 has a combined MPG rating of 16? The math doesn't add up. 15 + 19 = 34 which divided by 2 is ... 17. So, what happened there with the feds?

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
neezer,

Yep, it's a weighted average. I believe the city value is weighted at 55% and the highway value is 45%, which is why you don't get a raw average.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
neezer,

Yep, it's a weighted average. I believe the city value is weighted at 55% and the highway value is 45%, which is why you don't get a raw average.

Ah yes, just confirmed that. Indeed that is correct. So then it works out to 16.8. They aren't allowed to round up. Only down :biggrin:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere there was a post about the trip computer showing MPG in the single digits. Most of us responded saying that low teens was typical for around town and high teens+ on the highway. (I can't find that thread, but found this one)

I have a new/used 2013 LR4 and can't get the trip computer out of the single digits. Now... I've only been driving it for a day and a half, so I'm not concerned yet.

I did reset the trip computer to zero which on the LR3 would also reset the MPG calculation. Anything else I should know? Everything else seems normal and my mechanic (who gave the truck a blessing today) said if I was really burning a gallon every 8 miles, I'd know it!

Thoughts?

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2016 LR4 with a total mileage that just turned 5.1K, on recent Vermont to midtown NYC round trip) (appx 560 mi) I got 19.6 mpg overall.

In the last 2000 miles of mostly local with some highway I got 16.8 mpg.

Got the car in late November so it was winter driving with snow tires on.

I started the trip meter over again this week when I put summer tires back on. So far 170 miles of local (33 mph average) it's 17.9 mpg. Too few miles here to really draw any conclusions.

Frank

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm the LR4 is capable of single digit MPG. The drive from Cheyenne, Wyoming to between Laramie and Rawlins is a slow uphill climb, typically into your legendary Wyoming wind. Add a travel trailer and it is single digits all the way to the top.

Typically I see 14/15 around town with 18-20 on the highway at 6300'-7200'

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you reset the average MPG calculation on the LR4?

On the LR3, it was reset every time you cleared the trip. At least on my '05.

When I look at what I'm getting on the instant MPG, it certainly seems like I should be well up in the teens on average. High teens even. But I can't get that average into the double digits.

So, the good news is I don't think I'm actually averaging 8 mpg. I'll have to hand calculate the next time I get gas.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't reset mine in well over a year. I pulled mine up yesterday and it reported 13.1 MPG average.

Yikes!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...I think things are correcting. Maybe this was off due to whatever fuel or driving had been going on while Carmax had the vehicle.
I had a 1/2 tank left of whatever the dealership had in there, filled it with Super and went for a 2 hour drive on the highway; 1/2 traffic, 1/2 fast, some back roads - computer came up with 18.2MPG and my hand computation came up with 17.2 MPG. Seems good to me under the circumstances.

I'll see how around town driving performs.

@Surfrider77 , that's pretty good. It's what my LR3 would show after several months of forgetting about it. That (for me) meant 17-20 highway and whatever it got around town.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99