Rear Camera and Rear/Front Sensor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if my 2013 is acting up or if this is normal operation. When I put the vehicle in reverse, the rear view camera comes on, but there is no initial beep and the radio stays on. It is only when you come close to something that the music stops and you hear the beeping (becoming faster as you get closer). Then, when I put the vehicle in drive, the vehicle diagram comes on the LCD display (and shows you the possible impact area), as normal, and it makes a different beeping noise.

My question is about going into reverse, should there be a beep and the radio goes out? That is what happened on my 2011 - though, since I had an HSE, I did not have front parking sensors. Everything seems to work great, but was curious about that initial beep and radio going mute.

Thanks!

-David

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 2013 is behaving as my 2012 does.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 2013 is behaving as my 2012 does.
That's good news! :)

I guess I was just used to the initial beep upon putting it in reverse, then the radio went muted. Like I said, everything works fine - just was curious.

Thanks!

-David

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radio does not mute. Drives me crazy as my BMW mutes sound so you can hear the beep. Heck my LR2 2008 muted the radio. Not sure why this is different in the 4 (2011 btw)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radio does not mute. Drives me crazy as my BMW mutes sound so you can hear the beep. Heck my LR2 2008 muted the radio. Not sure why this is different in the 4 (2011 btw)
The funny thing is that my radio muted on my 2011, but I did not have the Lux package or front parking sensors. I liked that when I put it in reverse, the radio would mute, and then I knew to wait for the beeps. As you know, now when I put it in reverse the radio just continues until I get close to something and then it mutes and the beeps start. When I stick it in drive, it's still muted, but there is a different beep for the front parking sensors.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that my radio muted on my 2011, but I did not have the Lux package or front parking sensors. I liked that when I put it in reverse, the radio would mute, and then I knew to wait for the beeps. As you know, now when I put it in reverse the radio just continues until I get close to something and then it mutes and the beeps start. When I stick it in drive, it's still muted, but there is a different beep for the front parking sensors.
I have the 2011 Lux with front parking sensors. My radio does not mute when I put in reverse, nor does it mute if I manually put on the parking sensors. It doesn't even mute when the beeping starts. I have to manually turn down the stereo if I want to hear the beeps. And yes, the front sensors have a different beep than the rear ones.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2011 Lux with front parking sensors. My radio does not mute when I put in reverse, nor does it mute if I manually put on the parking sensors. It doesn't even mute when the beeping starts. I have to manually turn down the stereo if I want to hear the beeps. And yes, the front sensors have a different beep than the rear ones.
The radio not muting at all would drive me crazy. It mutes now, but only when the beeping starts.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine mutes as well - not completely, but enough to clearly hear the beeps over the music - when the front or rear park sensors start beeping (and only when they beep.) I think something may not be right with your 2011 if the radio doesn't mute.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine mutes as well - not completely, but enough to clearly hear the beeps over the music - when the front or rear park sensors start beeping (and only when they beep.) I think something may not be right with your 2011 if the radio doesn't mute.
Good to know! I'll ask the dealer about that since my car is currently in the shop. The Evoque loaner I have currently does mute enough when the beeping starts, as you described. I would love to have that feature.

umbertob - I'm assuming you also have a 2011 LR4?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, sorry. I have a 2013, but my 06 Sport also used to mute the radio when the sensors went off, so I assume that should be the strategy regardless of model year? David above had a 2011 and says his radio would mute as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72