Rear gate access drop. How to disable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ladric

Reaction score
Hi Folks, anyone one how to disable to feature that drops the rear suspension when there is any weight on the tailgate?
I just replaced the hatch struts but at 6' 2" if the rear drops the hatch still hits me on the head.
Yes, I have an IID tool.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not a feature. That's just weight on the tailgate compressing the suspension.

Ladric

Reaction score
That's not a feature. That's just weight on the tailgate compressing the suspension.

I don't think so. I have seen some posts on it before (just can't find them). Its a 2011 HSE so maybe it's a feature for some year/model. It only does it when the tail gate is open. I can load bikes on the bike rack, I can load stuff on top and nothing, but if I open the rear hatch the truck drops.

Ladric

Reaction score
Ya, that's what it's doing. It does not take much, sometime just reaching in to grab my boots. Then I stand up and head hits the door.

Last edited:

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tried sitting on my tail gate. First scenario I had the truck locked with fob in pocket. Opened hatch and tailgate, sat on tailgate, nothing. Second scenario I unlocked my truck and didn't the same thing. Nothing. I weigh 180 lbs.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t do this either. There was a feature in the IID tool called “easy entry.” Although im sure this has something to do with the seats lowering and the steering wheel raising when you open the door. Mine is set to inactive even though my seat still Lowers and steering wheel rises so perhaps it could have something to do with this? I doubt it would but it’s worth a shot to check.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, anyone one how to disable to feature that drops the rear suspension when there is any weight on the tailgate?
I just replaced the hatch struts but at 6' 2" if the rear drops the hatch still hits me on the head.
Yes, I have an IID tool.
Mine does not do this (2013 HSE). It will, on occasion, readjust the rear suspension but it's not predictable and seems to be more about rebalancing the 4 corners than anything else. There is definitely no direct connection between weight on the rear tail gate and the suspension lowering.

I'm very confused by your comment about the hatch struts and the hatch hitting you on the head. Are you sure that the replacement struts just aren't working? I don't see what they have to do with the tail gate. Whether the truck did or didn't drop, the hatch is still the same height at the hinge so if the hatch is hitting your head, that's the problem. I guess I'm just confused by your original post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV