1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear main seal?!

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Jimmy Brooks, May 17, 2020.

1. Jimmy Brooks

Jimmy Brooks Full Access Member

you know I did think about that, I think it could be possibly out of the tranny due to the fact that when I went to have my transmission fixed for my ever lasting 3-4th upshift problem, they said the tranny fluid was half a quart low and it had just been filled up last month. Half a quart isn’t that low but my engine oil didn’t drop a level at all. Whenever the “transmission fault” amber comes up on my dash I’ll have them check the fluid see if it’s a little lower then propose the idea and have them change out the e-clutch engagement valve aka mv1 damper as well as shift valve1 and let you guys know. Incase your wondering I’ll link the article down below that I read on this from a former BMW owner with a zf6hp26.

CA93E5B9-BA3D-48FD-B837-C934D9026D26.png

1D0703D4-E044-4D34-B650-7328C0CAA2F7.jpeg

2. John Robison

John Robison Member

On a late model Land Rover a high mile oil with seal conditioner might cause problems elsewhere in the engine (see thread on correct oil and interval) so I would not do that. Either live with it, or it is too much, fix it correctly

DirtyHal likes this.
  3. Stuart Barnes

Stuart Barnes Supporting Member Supporting Member

How did he decide that the oil was between the engine and transmission? Was the engine guard removed? I’m only raising this because the lca bushes if they’re shot leak and could be dripping down and onto the sump guard?

it’s an idea at least.

have you removed the guard and had a look with the car on stands?

gsxr likes this.
  4. Jimmy Brooks

Jimmy Brooks Full Access Member

that’s a good point, no I have not seen the leak, but I will remove the guard at some point in the next week and send pictures.